Discussion Board

Angry How can I set an alarm in Harmattan (can really nobody help)?

There are already several thread's from people trying to figure out how to set an alarm in Harmattan (N9/N950).
    Sadly, nobody was yet able to show a working example.
    This hinders me and many others from developing applications.
    Its IMHO very sad that there is almost no support from Nokia's side.
    How can you expect people to develop applications, when the required framework is not available or not documented?

Need some examples?
    See here:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...9-N9-Alarm-API
    and here:
    http://forum.meego.com/showthread.ph...t=timed&page=3
    and here:
    http://forum.meego.com/showthread.ph...highlight=cron

So, if anybody knows how to set a timed action in Harmattan, please let us know!
    I spent hours trying to compile timed (http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-middleware/timed) in QtCreator, but never successed. I am almost at the point of putting everything aside and stopping to develop software for the N9
    I really like the phone and also Harmattan, but without working framework/documentation => no app.

Super Contributor

Re: How can I set an alarm in Harmattan (can really nobody help)?

Hi CaCO3,
    To build simple-client you need some include files missing in the QtSDK:

Those files are available in the "Platform SDK" (aka Scratchbox).
    I managed to build simple-client in a couple of mins after some changes to client.cpp [1] and after installing the following packages:
    libtimed-voland-dev, libpcre3-dev

Here is its output on my device:
    /home/developer $ simple-client
    Usage: simple-client [a [TITLE]] | [r [COOKIE [VALUE]]] | c COOKIE | qn | query [key value]* | pid

The timed package depends on many other libs and it can be build ONLY using scratchbox.

[1] http://paste.org/pastebin/view/39430

Dear gnuton

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
    I installed the mentioned packages in my scratchbox (target: sbox-HARMATTAN_ARMEL).

Is meego-middleware-timed-master from git the right package?
    How do I compile it? (simple-client only contains client.cpp and simple-client.pro)
    There is no make file or so

I downloaded/extracted the whole meego-middleware-timed-master.tar.gz
    and tried to build it with
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    How ever as you mention, it needs many other packages (texlive and so on) and I cant solve all decencies due some broken packages.

And once I finally will be able to build it:
    How do I use simple client?
    I studied its code, but do not understand the meaning of the command line parameters.
    A bit more of documentation really wouldn't be asked too much
    Is it able to set/remove/modify an alarm?
    How would I set an event which uses the built in notification/snooze notifications?

As I've understood, QtSDK is the only official and supported tool for Harmattan coding. I haven't got scratchbox and have no intention to install it because this could involve some difficulties. So my question is: should I count on including this set of APIs into QtSDK, at least in a future, or should I forget about it completely? Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

@xarcass
    Quote Originally Posted by xarcass View Post
    As I've understood, QtSDK is the only official and supported tool for Harmattan coding.
    Nokia offers QtSDK as "Application SDK" and scratchbox as "Platform SDK".
    If you want to build system libraries, kernel or some components the Harmattan SDK is not enough.

Should I count on including this set of APIs into QtSDK, at least in a future, or should I forget about it completely?
    As far as I know Nokia is not going to provide any new API for Harmattan. But this doesn't mean that there won't be new APIs available in the future.
    The hacker community around Harmattan will find the way to achieve a target.
    So, although the alarm API is not public it makes sense to talk about it and I try to understand how it works.
    I will help you to find a solution.

@CaCO3
    You can find simple-client debian file here [1].
    To build it I've created a debian/ folder inside simple-client folder and I run dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot.
    Note: I made little changes to client.cpp to remove some dependencies. You can find my client.cpp version used to compile the package here attached in the link I pasted in my previous comment.

[1] http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...20111013152319
    Last edited by gnuton; 2011-10-13 at 16:27.

Well, i've never thought about using timed service (for example) in terms of system libraries or kernel hacking. I suppose this is a convenient mechanism and it would be good if it was included in the Application SDK, taking into account security considerations, of course. It's not a big deal to implement API to the timed daemon (though I might be wrong here), but it may increase overall attractiveness of the platform for developers (and for end-users for that matter)
    Anyway, thanks for your cooperation, you've been very helpful. I didn't know that scratchbox has an 'official' status also.