Discussion Board

How to allow the user to choose the installation drive for MIDlet ?

Hi all,

I want to publish my app into OVI store.I read that the app will be published only if it passes the QA tests which are based on Unified Testing Criteria and Nokia Content store guidelines. But one criteria is that

"The install process must allow the end user to choose the drive on which to install the content."

How can I acheive this ? I have tried using the JAD attributes Nokia-MIDlet-Save-Location ,Nokia-MIDlet-Category , but didnt work.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
    Haripriya

Regular Contributor

Re: How to allow the user to choose the installation drive for MIDlet ?

Quote Originally Posted by H@RIPRIY@KOND@PI View Post
    Hi all,

I want to publish my app into OVI store.I read that the app will be published only if it passes the QA tests which are based on Unified Testing Criteria and Nokia Content store guidelines. But one criteria is that

"The install process must allow the end user to choose the drive on which to install the content."

How can I acheive this ? I have tried using the JAD attributes Nokia-MIDlet-Save-Location ,Nokia-MIDlet-Category , but didnt work.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
    Haripriya
    Drive means Phone memory (C://) or Memory card (E://) ?????????

Any drive of users' choice. Will it make any difference if it is C:// or E:// ? Can we make the user to choose any drive in "C"or Memory card. I tried but the app is getting installed under "Games" or Applications folder by default.It is not prompting to choose a drive.

Regular Contributor

Any drive of users' choice. Will it make any difference if it is C:// or E:// ? Can we make the user to choose any drive in "C"or Memory card. I tried but the app is getting installed under "Games" or Applications folder by default.It is not prompting to choose a drive.
    can you specify,On which device you are trying to do this task...?

Super Contributor

The installation location (drive) is different thing from the folder the user can find your application in the application menu.

Drive is for example memory card or phone memory (built-in memory of the phone). Folder could be Games or something similar.

If the device does not have a memory card inserted, the only place the application can be installed ins phone memory, so the device will not ask where to install the app. Please insert a memory card in your device and try again (it sounds that you are using a Series 40 phone which might not have a memory card slot, so this could be impossible for you to test - fortunately there is very little the MIDlet can do about this as it does not really have any role during the installation process, so most likely your MIDlet will pass)

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    The installation location (drive) is different thing from the folder the user can find your application in the application menu.

Drive is for example memory card or phone memory (built-in memory of the phone). Folder could be Games or something similar.

If the device does not have a memory card inserted, the only place the application can be installed ins phone memory, so the device will not ask where to install the app. Please insert a memory card in your device and try again (it sounds that you are using a Series 40 phone which might not have a memory card slot, so this could be impossible for you to test - fortunately there is very little the MIDlet can do about this as it does not really have any role during the installation process, so most likely your MIDlet will pass)

Hartti
    Hartti,for S40 phones you have to put application files i.e jad and jar files directly into the Drive like C: (phone memory) or E: (Memory card) with the help of USB cable.The device will not ask you for installation.but if you are downloading application from web server then it will directly install in games or collection folder which are on phone memory(C.but when you try to install application on S60 device then device will ask you where to install application only if memory card is present else it will intsall directly on phone memory(C.

Thanks Hartti and Pradip for your replies.

Yes Pradip, I observed the same what you have specified.So, Is there any way to make the phone ask the user to choose teh drive other than installing in default "Games " folder. If not , then what about the test case specifying

The install process must allow the end user to choose the drive on which to install the content."

In this case will my app passes or not ?

Please advise because this is the only test case which I doubt rest every thing my app clears.

Thanks & Regards,
    Haripriya

Regular Contributor

Thanks Hartti and Pradip for your replies.

Yes Pradip, I observed the same what you have specified.So, Is there any way to make the phone ask the user to choose teh drive other than installing in default "Games " folder. If not , then what about the test case specifying

The install process must allow the end user to choose the drive on which to install the content."

In this case will my app passes or not ?

Please advise because this is the only test case which I doubt rest every thing my app clears.

Thanks & Regards,
    Haripriya
    I think your app will pass this test case
    Regards,
    Pradip

Nokia Developer Champion

The installation process of midlet in case of J2me is not controlled by the midlet itself so your app should pass and this will not be reason if it fails.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Thanks all for the replies.

Im going to submit my app in a couple of days.In case of any issues will get back.

Thanks & Regards,
    Haripriya