Discussion Board

Does MeeGo/Harmattan have API's allowing Mobile Device Management?

Today, many people get their devices from their companies. They are a tool in the daily work, and the most important thing it does is keeping the employee up to speed on mails and calendar.

However - more and more companies are starting to run Mobile Device Management (MDM) software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_device_management

This MDM software enables the company IT department to remotecontrol the device, allow certain programs to be installed/not installed, remote wipe, FOTA, Backup, etc. Without running those MDM clients, the devices will not be allowed to connect to the company's MfE server - and will be useles in a company context.

The MDM software is working via an app installed on the device that can connect to the MDM Server - and therefore the MDM companies needs to develop specific Apps to specific device OS's. In this case for the MeeGo/Harmattan OS.

The MDM Apps builds on the OS's API's, and therefore it is important that the OS is prepared with such API's.

So, my question is: Is the Meego OS prepared with such API's (like e.g. the Nokia E7 is), and if not yet - are there any plans for implementing them?

Super Contributor

Re: Does MeeGo/Harmattan have API's allowing Mobile Device Management?

It supports all API under Qt mobility 1.2.0.

Check for API reference : Qt mobility API

Hi Rahulvala.

Thanks for coming back on this!!! :-)

Yeah - I know what you're saying, and I take that as a "No" to the first part of my question: "Is the MeeGo OS prepared with API's that support MDM?"

Still I cannot believe this is true... Could it really be true that this OS is not useable for such large parts of the customer-base - especially when you see the price of the - so far only - device available?

I still have hopes for the second part of the question - Are there any plans to implement API's that support MDM?

Super Contributor

For future plan we can not say anything,we can just hope, but right now it supports the API under Qt mobility.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by McS View Post

Still I cannot believe this is true... Could it really be true that this OS is not useable for such large parts of the customer-base - especially when you see the price of the - so far only - device available?
    So far = ever. Nokia is most probably not going to give much further attention to MeeGo, or its single, one-off commercially available MeeGoish device, the N9. Neither is Intel, which has already directed its attention towards https://www.tizen.org/

Besides, I don't think N9 device management will be of any interest for the majority of the N9 user base, or the majority of Nokia's customer base, or even the majority of Nokia's corporate customer base.

Thanks Petrib.

Bummer! I'm not sure you're right about the customer-base though - but who knows...

So what's the second-best alternative? Manual sync over USB? Setting up a parrallel MfE-server and forward all mails?

Any other ideas?

Super Contributor

Hi,
    Harmattan MfE, as the Symbian one, doesn't allow you to sync your device with a your company exchange server if the device is not protected by password.
    Is this protection enough?
    If a company wants to spy its employees I think it's not difficult to make a spy daemon.

Hi Gnuton.

Thanks for the answer.

Actually I dont think those companies are trying to spy. Rather they are trying to protect users data in case phones get stolen or lost. They also try to minimize cost of maintenance by updating devices automatically, sending certain apps directly to the devices etc. More controversial is of course the ability to control (and well yes perhaps also spy) users behaviour on the internet. In most cases the devices and the traffic is paied by the companies, so one could argue they have the right to control that they are not being abused. But thats a matter of opinion. I respect yours but I dont believ that to be the case for the majority of companies.

The MDM is an App on the device that connects to the MDM server. The server verifies the client, and approves access to the MfE server. So you see the device will not even be able to reach the MfE server unless it can be authenticated by the MDM.

I can guarantee that more and more big companies will be implementing MDM software in the future, and failing to comply with this will effectively rule out you entering the business market, as in fact the windows phone 7 is at the moment, believe it or not.

EDIT: I just checked up on that last fact, and it turns out that within the last week there has been developed one or more MDM clients for the Mango release (WP 7.5).
    Last edited by McS; 2011-10-12 at 05:58.

Super Contributor

Hi McS,

Harmattan devices make use of rock solid APT package system coming from Debian Linux which allows company to add to the device their own repository.
    A Company can create a 3rd repository in few minutes if necessary to host their apps.
    A 3rd debian repository requires a simple webserver that can be reached on custom or standard HTTP/HTTPS ports, so it's not an expensive solution since
    it doesn't require extra software, licenses or special personal.

The device checks for updates every time it's connected to internet. So you don't need to "send" the app to the device, but the device will fetch the new version
    of the app when available.
    Moreover harmattan allow you to use encripted filesystems (custom kernel required)and VPN support.

The MDM is an App on the device that connects to the MDM server. The server verifies the client, and approves access to the MfE server. So you see the device will not even be able to reach the MfE server unless it can be authenticated by the MDM.
    To maintain a MDM server is not costless and it doesn't work with Exchange Web Interface.

I can guarantee that more and more big companies will be implementing MDM software in the future, and failing to comply with this will effectively rule out you entering the business market, as in fact the windows phone 7 is at the moment, believe it or not.
    More and more companies will implement cloud-based solution. Microsoft itself is fully committed to improve its cloud service offering.
    Is MDM software compatible with cloud solutions? If it so, how does it work? Does it create VPN/SSL encrypted tunnels or what?