Discussion Board

Uploading three packages for three family of phones in OVI store with the same name ?

Hi ,

I have written an application which works for Symbian^3 , Symbian^1 & 3rd Edition devices.
    This was made possible by keeping some checks which builds our code according to the family .

like :
    #define symbian3
    #define symbian1
    #define symbian3rdEdition

one of the above flags are set at one time .

#if symbian3
    //code for symbian3 family
    #else if symbian1
    //code for symbian1 family
    #else if symbian3rdEdition
    //code for symbian3rdEdition family
    #end

so this gives us three executables for the three families when separately built .

My question is , will be able to upload all the three executables in the OVI store with the same name because all does the same functionality as I want to support the application for all the three above mentioned family of phones ?

Please reply .

Thanks .

Super Contributor

Re: Uploading three packages for three family of phones in OVI store with the same na

Yep. One content item, three content files.

BUT: you cannot have custom screenshots per build!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Re: Uploading three packages for three family of phones in OVI store with the same na

Also you could just make one SIS package with separate EXE:s for different devices.

You can define these in PKG file and the correct exe to install is determined when installing.

IF EXISTS("z:\system\install\Series60v5.2.sis")
    "YourSymbian3App.exe" - "!:\sys\bin\YourApp.exe"
    ELSEIF EXISTS("z:\system\install\Series60v5.0.sis")
    "YourSymbian1App.exe" - "!:\sys\bin\YourApp.exe"
    ELSE
    "Your3rdEdApp.exe" - "!:\sys\bin\YourApp.exe"
    ENDIF

But ofcourse making separate SIS is as feasible too. Just something to consider.

Super Contributor

TeemUp this is a really cool code sample!

Mind me reposting it on my blog?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

I don't mind. The more people can find it via search engines the better

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by teemup View Post
    But ofcourse making separate SIS is as feasible too. Just something to consider.
    Yes, ofcourse making separate SIS is better solution then making one SIS package with separate EXE.

Since we can have separate SIS file (for different edition of SDK) for one content item, there is no over head for creating different SIS file. (Except signing).

Making one SIS package with separate EXE will increase the size of final SIS file and it may cause problem in downloading larger SIS file for some region (say some countries of APAC) where there is poor network availability and no 3G (or 3G is in initial phase).

Regular Contributor

I'd say that for application with < 100k lines of code the size difference in SIS is about 50-100KB.

Of course people operating in sub-optimal conditions that might cause more download time. Still I'd argue with applications with content (like games or reference apps) this size increase will not matter.

But of course both ways have their sides.
    The reason I have chosen to include the EXE:s in one SIS is to avoid one of software engineering pitfalls: repetition. By only giving one SIS to testers and to Stores, I can be sure that all the other content in the App is the same.

And if giving the SIS directly to customers, it will be way easier for them to just get one SIS file that will just work. That way the customer doesn't need to even know the phone model they are using (not to mention platform version!).

Also this way you can just upload one SIS file to, let's say Nokia Store, and they will only need to do the basic QA checks with that one file, potentially making for a faster release cycle.

That being said; you should pick the way you want to do it.
    If you make custom content (like smaller images for Symbian 3rd edition devices) then you might enjoy the 100KB + "your data size" that you will save.