Discussion Board

Bouncing event animation on N9 lock screen

Having gone through just about all my resources, and exhausted my google-fu, i now ask you:

How do i, from QML or alternatively from C++, launch the bouncing event announcement thing on the Harmattan lock screen? That is, the one used for alarms, for incoming calls, and for the first boot welcome.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Bouncing event animation on N9 lock screen

Hi,
    I'm sorry, but those bouncing events are not and will not be available for 3rd parties. 3rd party applications can spawn notifications though (the notification banners which appear on the lock screen and on top of the Events view).

That's pretty unfortunate... I'm building this little app http://store.ovi.com/content/206520 and my use case is thus: User sets a timer for their tea, the screen blanks after 30 seconds (or whatever they've set) as one would expect. Now, once the tea timer sounds, being able to add this bouncing would be advantageous. The reason a notification banner on the lock screen, while it would wake up the device and make a note of itself, is not as useful here is that these are designed to stay until the user dismisses the event. A tea timer firing is much more similar to an alarm clock. To me it just seems a little arbitrary to choose specifically to not expose that particular event style.
    Last edited by leinir; 2011-10-13 at 12:21. Reason: clarification

Nokia Developer Moderator

What about using Organizer Mobility API to set an event in the calendar?

That was suggested by dm8tor on #harmattan as well, the problem with doing that is that well... firstly, i'm pretty sure the event system operates above the second level (which i need for this app), and well, setting alarms like that adds other things in, such as the organizer's "This event is happening!" thing. However, i've worked around it by adding an item to the event feed and undimming the screen when the timer fires. It's not what i was after, but it does work reasonably well (and looks pleasant enough together with the rest of the app).

So, yeah, on a bright note - figured out a way of handling implementing something which fulfils the purpose, even though it wasn't what i actually wanted to do. At least MNotification is easy to work with
    Last edited by leinir; 2011-10-14 at 13:38. Reason: positivity ;)