Discussion Board

WMADemo Problem: MMS send to default inbox instead to midlet

Forgive my english.

I've problem with WMADemo that supplied by WTK2.5.2 (applications demo) on my device, everytime i tried send mms from midlet (MMSSend) it always went to default inbox

my device is Nokia expressmusic 5220, cldc 1.1 and midp 2.1 capable

i've compile wmaDemo using netbeans 7.0.1, WTK 2.5.2 on fedora 11 x64, jdk 1.7 64bit

On the emulator everything works fine, but when I tried on the device, MMSSend always send mms to default inbox. SMSSend and SMSReceive worked fine (i.e send and activate SMSReceive on receiving). fyi, i just using 1 device: i'm sending and receiving (to and from) the same number, sending ordinary MMS worked fine. And i didnt change anything in the WMADemo.

1. Is there any possibility that the AMS didnt manage the incoming MMS with port as predefined in the WMA manifest/jad? (whether push-registry is set or not in the jad/manifest)
    2. is there any possibility i have to set the device so AMS can manage incoming MMS properly?
    3. Can anybody confirm that using WMADemo MMS example working as it should be on real device, and what the device you use?

PS: i've post the same question on netbeans forum, if somehow i've break some rules here, i apologize.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: WMADemo Problem: MMS send to default inbox instead to midlet

Hi and welcome to Nokia's Discussion Boards,

There are important differences among platforms and devices, which can result in different behavior of your code on the Emulator and the Device. Please always use the emulator that comes with Nokia's SDK (you can integrate the appropriate Nokia SDK to either Eclipse or Netbeans), so that your code behaves as closely as possible to reality.

For more information regarding source-code, run-time and hardware differences please read Q: Will my Java ME application run unmodified across all platforms? found here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...before-posting

Information on how to integrate Nokia's SDK to your IDE (for Series 40 devices you will need the Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java):
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...C2D2937BC.html

Now, your problem seems to be related to the fact that the getAppProperty method below:
    appID = getAppProperty ("MMS-ApplicationID");

returns null on your Nokia Device. The String MMS URL should contain a valid application id. Please check this information here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...3639B2D11.html

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't access site http://library.developer.nokia.com/ operation timed-out, i've tried to access it from 1 week ago till now. Maybe the site is down, can anybody confirm that?

As for the appID, i've tried change it to appID = "example.mms.MMSDemo";
    sent it and still waiting to receive the MMS, sometimes it takes a long time.... I'll let you know the result.
    fyi, WMADemo already have the property MMS-ApplicationID: example.mms.MMSDemo, I can confirm that in the jad file.

And just now i've stumbled on this page: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...erator_support
    What do you think, is it any posibility that what happened to me? Is there any way for me to confirm that?
    Last edited by hherdianto; 2011-10-17 at 03:54. Reason: typo

Super Contributor

No, the library is up.
    When you said that nokia library timed out, does this mean that you did not get any response or did you get some redirects?
    Could you try with some other browser (than what you are using now)?

Hartti

It seems one of my ISP having trouble connecting to the library (I'm using 2 different ISP) disregard which browser I use. No response, no redirect from my default ISP (Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.). I can connect thru another ISP.
    As for AppID, still no luck changing to appID = "example.mms.MMSDemo";
    Do any of you have tried MMS midlet example from WMADemo? Did it work and what device do you use if it work? Or maybe you have another MMS midlet using push registry that work like it should? I don't care if its only working on some devices, as long you tell me which device it is.
    Last edited by hherdianto; 2011-10-18 at 05:25. Reason: typo

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi hherdianto,

Yes, I had tried the WMADemo using Nokia's SDK 1.0 for Java. The code does not give any compilation problems, however as expected the Application ID returns null.

If you can access Nokia's developer library from here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/

You can actually navigate to the page I was referring by selecting: Java Developer's Library 3.10>Developer's Guide>Messaging>Wireless Messaging API 2.0> Using the Wireless Messaging API 2.0.

A few things that should be considered first:

Receiving an MMS is different than receiving an SMS in the sense that the receiving application running on a device is identified with the application-id included in the message. The application-id must be specified if the message is addressed to a midlet and not the native messaging application. When opening in server mode, the application specifies the Application-ID that it uses for receiving messages. In order to enable this type of communication, there are two additional parameters added to the Content-Type header field of the message which are the "Application-ID" and the "Reply-To-Application-ID". The application id is therefore mutually agreed in advance between the sending and the receiving parts, and it could be defined as just the class name of the recipient application. The problem is that, if you send an MMS from the phone's native messaging application, you do not specify the commonly agreed application id between the client and the server, and therefore the additional header parameters of the message are not defined, eventually not allowing the receiving application to listen and pick up the MMS.

You will need to create a custom made client application for that purpose where you can specify the url in the form mms://+356728900:MyMMSApp where MyMMSApp is the application id that the receiving app is listening for.

All the above information can be found at the Wireless Messaging API specification document that you can download from here:

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communitypr...20/index2.html

Yes I have read that, and now i'm trying to debugging using microlog. I want to get header data containing Application-ID anda Reply-To-Application-ID, can you tell me the header name or how to get that header? (When i use content-type, it always gave ecxeption)
    BTW, I think i've broke my old phone, maybe because too many installing and deleting that midlet (once i deleted midlet directly from memory card). Now I'm using nokia 6233 as test case. Strange thing, when I've tried installing WMADemo via OTA to 6233 it said invalid application. It's really depressing as how problem persist even for simple official example code.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by hherdianto View Post
    Yes I have read that, and now i'm trying to debugging using microlog. I want to get header data containing Application-ID anda Reply-To-Application-ID, can you tell me the header name or how to get that header? (When i use content-type, it always gave ecxeption)
    BTW, I think i've broke my old phone, maybe because too many installing and deleting that midlet (once i deleted midlet directly from memory card). Now I'm using nokia 6233 as test case. Strange thing, when I've tried installing WMADemo via OTA to 6233 it said invalid application. It's really depressing as how problem persist even for simple official example code.
    Please check the MIDP version on your Midlet - it might be MIDP 2.1 while Nokia 6233 is MIDP 2.0 device.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Originally WMADemo midlet's MIDP 2.0, it's run fine with my nokia xpressmusic 5220 (MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1) except for MMS part (please see my first post). I know I modified a few code, but I don't think that was the problem. nevertheless I'll revert to the original WMADemo, will tried again (and do modifying and debugging again).