Discussion Board

X Terminal Apps List

Hi,
    I was fluting around the other day in X-Terminal and got a command line from some website which listed all apps, Some of which i never knew were installed, when i checked they were not showing as installed!!!

I have been unable to find this website or command line again since.

Does anyone know what it could have been?

what I am trying to ascertain is if there are any processes running that i am unaware of that I can remove to try and increase battery life.

Whilst I know the battery life on the N900 has and always will be an issue, however, my N900 battery used to last much loinger than it does now which leads me to think i have something installed that i nkiow nothing about. I can't remember what the last things I installed are so its not as simple as uninstalling them one at a time.

I have midnight commander which is great but i just don't understand which app is ahich and I am afraid to delete any of them at all. lol.

I also have Faster application manager, but only the apps i expect to see are there.

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Thanks a Million

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: X Terminal Apps List

dpkg-query -l
    ?

Hartti

Nokia Developer Moderator

Note that there is no strict relation between packages and applications - one application can be made up of/use several packages and the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    dpkg-query -l
    ?

Hartti
    That's the one.

Thank You.

Now ...........

How do I go aboute removing these things? Are they using power? ASre they doing anything at all? or is this just a list of installed and uninstal;led apps that have not been removed yet?

Thanks a Million for your help :@)

Nokia Developer Champion

That command lists the installed packages (as achipa said, this is not same as installed applications). Unless they are running, they are just using "disk space"
    I would not start just "randomly" removing these packages. Instead if you want to remove some applications you do not need, go to the application manager (Settings->Applications->Manage Applications)

Hartti

Hi Hartti,

Thanks for your sound advice, I will definately NOT start removing random files,however, there is something called rc xbox360-media- 1.0-1maemo2.

I have never owned an X-Box 360 or otherwise.

So for instance, how could I remove this from my system?

Nokia Developer Moderator

note the "rc" at the beginning of that line - that means that you had that package installed at some point (maybe as part of some "universal remote" type application?), but that it has been removed in the meantime. "ii" means installed and present.

Quote Originally Posted by achipa View Post
    note the "rc" at the beginning of that line - that means that you had that package installed at some point (maybe as part of some "universal remote" type application?), but that it has been removed in the meantime. "ii" means installed and present.
    Brilliant - Thanks.

Is there a way to remove this from my N900 at all?
    I guess it doesn't matter if it's already been removed but I would like to get it gone for good.

thanks everyone