Discussion Board

Changing app icon, phone os compatibility and message during installation

Hello.

I'm quite new to Symbian C++.
    I've developed an S60v5 (S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0) GUI app that does what I need and works fine.
    But I can't resolve a few problems, I'm tired with searching so I decided to ask you for help

1. The app icon - I changed svg file, rebuilded and... nothing changed. The generated mif is allways the same - 5170 bytes long. And of course icon doesn't change in the phone. Is there any way to convert svg to mif?

2. Is there an event like OnActivate/OnShow or similar? I need to do something within the app when user brings it to front from background.

3. When I install my app on the phone I have 3 messages:
    - warning, that the app is not trusted, and I understand this (I use self signed sis)
    - warning, that the app is not compatibile with phone (and I don't understand why - it's C5-03 with S60v5)
    - and 3rd warning that the app want to read users data (allow/cancel). I thought that phone debug (GCCE) build is responsible for this, but after building with release option nothing changed, the message is sitll present during installation process. I tried with an empty GUI S60 application (empty project with simple menu that has a few options showing messages) and it also had this message. I thought that it might be because it uses a file saved on the device, but after removing all lines responsible for file access nothing changed.
    What should I do to avoid second and third message during installation?

TIA
    Szczerb.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Changing app icon, phone os compatibility and message during installation

Device image management caches images to speed up their loading, thus after changing the content of a image file (caching thinks it is the old one if the name is same), you should restart the device.

Unfortunately it didn't help. But it must be something wrong with the application, because another project (prepared especially to test icon change) works fine - has proper icon. I copied my code to the new project so the icon problem is resolved. Thanks.

Still I have that messages during installation

Regular Contributor

For 3:
    Open your PKG file.
    For the "not compatible with device", see which device range UID:s are defined there.
    For example, if your SIS can be used in 3rd & 5th edition and Symbian^3 you should have something like this:

Code:
    [0x102032BE], 0, 0, 0, {"S60 3rd edition FP1 ProductID"}
    [0x1028315F], 0, 0, 0, {"S60 5th edition ProductID"}
    [0x20022E6D], 0, 0, 0, {"Symbian^3 ProductID"}
    And for the read user data, means that you are using ReadUserData capability.
    This is defined in the MMP file.
    Please see: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...i/Capabilities for more information about capabilities.

And as side note: Is there some reason why you are not using Qt?

Nokia Developer Moderator

for teh icon change, do delete the old image files from your project and make sure you do regenerate them. Then make uninstall the application from the device, reboot it, and install the new one.

Thanks for your(s) replies. They really helped.
    The application works fine, installation is easy (without messages) and the icon is proper. That's all I needed.

And why not Qt - I tried to do my app in java, but someone told me that it will be better to do it in C++. I had to write only one application for S60. Few years ago I was using C++. I had no idea what is Qt and had no time to learn it, so I decided to use it. And it was ok. I had only problems with things I wrote in this post.

Greetings,
    Szczerb.

Regular Contributor

Yes, very good point. I too have more Symbian C++ than Qt in my past

Reason I asked was that sometimes people are not familiar with Qt and then at least I try to push them a bit towards that. For beginning developers I'd say it can be much easier to get stuff done with.