Discussion Board

Angry Express Signed sis file cannot be installed

I sent a sis file for Express Signed, it was signed successfully but cannot be installed. I get a "Certificate Error".

I suspect it has something to do with the New Smart Installer that Nokia introduced. I submitted the application_installer sis file for signing. The application sis file is "wrap" inside the smart installer and it seems that the signing is not done properly.

I have emailed symbian.signed@nokia.com but it seems that they are not able to resolve this issue themselves.

Very disappointed. Hope someone can shed some light.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Express Signed sis file cannot be installed

Do note that you must sign the inner sis file first, i.e. the one that actually has your application, and then sign the smart installer sis file.

i.e. for simplicity each sis file must be propaerly signed, othervise they will not install to the device.

& capabilities specified in the outer sis file should be same or greater than inner sis file.

Quote Originally Posted by dinesh547 View Post
    & capabilities specified in the outer sis file should be same or greater than inner sis file.
    That is probably not true.

Sis files are not specify capabilities, executables inside the sis do. You surely can have different capabilities with embedded sis files, or content sis files
    Also You can also use different signing method for the sis files, i.e. the inner one could for example be Certified signed, and the outer one self-signed/express signed

sorry mistake.
    But I faced this issue 3 years back when we have to specify the capabilities at the time of creation of symbian certificate itself.
    at that time if the inner sis file has greator capabilities than the outer sis file than application fails to install on the phone.

But now we dont need to specify the capabilities while creating certificate untill we dont need some special capabilities.

So what wizard hu & yucca are telling is 100% right.

sorry mistake.
    But I faced this issue 3 years back when we have to specify the capabilities at the time of creation of symbian certificate itself.
    at that time if the inner sis file has greator capabilities than the outer sis file than application fails to install on the phone.

But now we dont need to specify the capabilities while creating certificate untill we dont need some special capabilities.

So what wizard hu & yucca are telling is 100% right.
    Actually with old system, the capabilities for certificate simply defined the Max capabilities used for all apps that the certificate was used for signing. The matter of inner capabilities being same as outer one make no sense still.

Hello, I have the same problem, my inner sis file was not signed. I checked this with SYSContents application found on the internet.
    After I found this thread, I did the following:

1) Rebuild solution in Qt Creator
    2) Opened Symbian S60 5th ed. command prompt and executed commands:
    make sis QT_SIS_CERTIFICATE=mycert.cer QT_SIS_KEY=mycert.key
    make ok_installer_sis QT_SIS_CERTIFICATE=mycert.cer QT_SIS_KEY=mycert.key

Output:
    Successfully created signed package MyApp_installer.sis using certificate: mycert.cer!

I downloaded SISContent application, and examined my signed sis file. It is signed! Both installer and inner package. After this I uploaded my package to symbiansigned and executed express signed.

Still I have this error: Certificate error. Contact application supplier.

Please help!

Did you express sign the inner sis first, pack that with Smart installer and sign the smart installer sis file as well ?

Side note: you may try playing with the date/time settings of your device. The signature has a validity period and time zone differences may interfere with it, so if you sign something today, it may be safer to set your device date+time to tomorrow for testing the installation.