Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Cool Sharing Rms data within two appln.

Hi all,

I have a j2me appln which stores the data in the Rms file.

Now I want to share the data saved by First appln in second appln
    so that my second appln will have the access to entire data filed in First.

thanks,

Suraj

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Sharing Rms data within two appln.

Quote Originally Posted by suraj03 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a j2me appln which stores the data in the Rms file.

Now I want to share the data saved by First appln in second appln
    so that my second appln will have the access to entire data filed in First.

thanks,

Suraj
    yes its very much possible - refer to RMS Recordstore API doc

Record stores are created in platform-dependent locations, which are not exposed to the MIDlets. The naming space for record stores is controlled at the MIDlet suite granularity. MIDlets within a MIDlet suite are allowed to create multiple record stores, as long as they are each given different names. When a MIDlet suite is removed from a platform all the record stores associated with its MIDlets will also be removed. MIDlets within a MIDlet suite can access each other's record stores directly. New APIs in MIDP 2.0 allow for the explicit sharing of record stores if the MIDlet creating the RecordStore chooses to give such permission.

Sharing is accomplished through the ability to name a RecordStore created by another MIDlet suite.

RecordStores are uniquely named using the unique name of the MIDlet suite plus the name of the RecordStore. MIDlet suites are identified by the MIDlet-Vendor and MIDlet-Name attributes from the application descriptor.

Access controls are defined when RecordStores to be shared are created. Access controls are enforced when RecordStores are opened. The access modes allow private use or shareable with any other MIDlet suite.

Record store names are case sensitive and may consist of any combination of between one and 32 Unicode characters inclusive. Record store names must be unique within the scope of a given MIDlet suite. In other words, MIDlets within a MIDlet suite are not allowed to create more than one record store with the same name, however a MIDlet in one MIDlet suite is allowed to have a record store with the same name as a MIDlet in another MIDlet suite. In that case, the record stores are still distinct and separate.

No locking operations are provided in this API. Record store implementations ensure that all individual record store operations are atomic, synchronous, and serialized, so no corruption will occur with multiple accesses. However, if a MIDlet uses multiple threads to access a record store, it is the MIDlet's responsibility to coordinate this access or unintended consequences may result. Similarly, if a platform performs transparent synchronization of a record store, it is the platform's responsibility to enforce exclusive access to the record store between the MIDlet and synchronization engine.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps