Discussion Board

python on windows mobile?

if i already build an app for s60 using python, does it will work on windows mobile with some modification?? or how?? thanks in advanced.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: python on windows mobile?

If you're talking about Windows Mobile you should find other forums and resources online. This forum is for Windows Phone on Nokia products.

If you are indeed referring to Windows Phone, Python is not available for it so you will have to rewrite your application entirely in Silverlight.

Regular Contributor

Dear Batousai15,

AFAIK, Windows Phone 7 OS supports only Silverlight 4, Xaml, C# and VB.
    See Windows Phone 7 Architecture

application port is the solution.

Hope it helps.
    Pavan Pareta
    Sr. Software Engineer
    http://windows-mobile-dev.blogspot.com

Check http://www.codeplex.com/wikipage?ProjectName=IronPython, it may help (not sure about it, just found it with Google)

thank you for your reply...i think windows phone can run python script...but im not so sure yet.
    Last edited by batousai15; 2011-10-26 at 15:13.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by batousai15 View Post
    thank you for your reply...i think windows phone can run python script...but im not so sure yet.
    There is no Python implementation by Nokia for Windows Phone.

There is no Python implementation by Microsoft for Windows Phone.

No Windows Phone comes with any built-in Python implementations from others.

Otherwise, check wizard_hu's link to "IronPython"; it might work on .NET on PC's, but not necessarily on Windows Phone, though.

I think technically it is possible, after all the CLR only cares about the IL code produced from C# or VB, but there is no easy way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsurgeon View Post
    I think technically it is possible, after all the CLR only cares about the IL code produced from C# or VB, but there is no easy way to do this.
    Their SDK only supports C# and VB.NET. Unless MS makes it possible to use other languages in the future, you will have to port it. Also note that the .net framework on the fomr is not exacly the same as on the desktop.

Honestly said I was a bit struck by #2-#3 already, but removed my rant from #4 prior to posting.

This thread clearly over-mystifies Python. Python is somewhere at the border of languages which are generally compiled (like C, C++) and languages which are generally interpreted (like Perl, JavaScript). As Python can be, and is often, used as an interpreted language, it does not matter what Microsoft/WP7/Silverlight/.Net CLR/the SDK itself support or not, someone can freely create a Python interpreter in one of the supported languages (likely C#), and use it for executing Python code.
    Python on S60 is an interpreter too, just to bring an obvious example, which fits both with the original question and with the history of this site.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Honestly said I was a bit struck by #2-#3 already, but removed my rant from #4 prior to posting.

This thread clearly over-mystifies Python. Python is somewhere at the border of languages which are generally compiled (like C, C++) and languages which are generally interpreted (like Perl, JavaScript). As Python can be, and is often, used as an interpreted language, it does not matter what Microsoft/WP7/Silverlight/.Net CLR/the SDK itself support or not, someone can freely create a Python interpreter in one of the supported languages (likely C#), and use it for executing Python code.
    Python on S60 is an interpreter too, just to bring an obvious example, which fits both with the original question and with the history of this site.
    I guess that its possible to do something like that, but each app would need to have its own interpreter. Perhaps a common library or something that you could add to your project and deploy. You cant install reusable components that could be accessible to all apps on the windows phone. Plus your app is limited to accessing the storage space allocated to it, it cant access other apps storage. An interpreter would need to be isolateed for each app, unless of course Microsopft decided to support it.

Another option is somerthing like TouchDevelop app. You can create scripts on the phone but all apps run inside the TouchDevelop environment. You can Pin an Script to the home screen but what will happen is that TouchDevelop opens and executes the script.

Heres the website about the app. Its really amazing btw, with lots of people publishing scripts: http://www.touchdevelop.com/

Cheers

Yes, currently that is the way. However it is true for any re-usable component one develops for WP7. Shared 3rd-party libraries are what missing, or at least that is my understanding now. It is not specific to this particular use-case.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Yes, currently that is the way. However it is true for any re-usable component one develops for WP7. Shared 3rd-party libraries are what missing, or at least that is my understanding now. It is not specific to this particular use-case.
    Yes and I dont see that changing anytime soon. Microsoft made a clear bet on the new OS and wants to keep things under control. It has advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is that you have a stable and secure OS. The disadvantage is that you dont have as much freedom as people may be looking for if they plan on use languages like Java, Pythos or C++.

Still Microsoft and Nokia are listening to us, so if enough people requests a feature, they will at the very least take it into consideration and evaluate the possibility.

Here is a good place to provide feedback to MS: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com

Cheers