Discussion Board

Motion Detection In j2me

hi. i m a student of bachelor in computer engineering. we are doing a project on motion detection in j2me through symbian mobile camera. what will b the best algorithm for motion detection? Plz help us. Up to now we initialized a camera which captures images n convert to greyscale image. Then what should we do. We are testing our project on nokia E5-00 mobile.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Motion Detection In j2me

Hi,

What kind of motion detection are you trying to implement?
    There are several sensors on Nokia's phones, such as Accelerometer Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Audible Signal Strength and Batter Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Magnetometer Sensor.

If by motion, you mean the phone's rotation in three axis, you can use the accelerometer:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...90413BD1F.html

If you are trying to use the phone's camera in video-mode to detect motion of what is being captured by the camera, this is currently not supported on API level.

Hi Skalogir! Thanx at first for ur concern. Actually we r going 2 build a car race game in which the actions (direction n speed) is controlled by the movement of camera (mobile) through image processing but not controlled by keys. We are using j2me. We have lots of options of algorithm for motion detection like blob detection, projection shift analysis, block matching etc. But there is not much information about these algorithm. So please tell me which is the best algorithm and information about those algorithm. And we are testing in Nokia E5-00. Please reply soon if possible. Again thanx for ur reply.

Nokia Developer Expert

Speed and course can be retrieved from the device's GPS receiver:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ass_in_Java_ME

However if you need to use image processing algorithms, this is I am afraid a rather more academic issue.