Discussion Board

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Re: Free Developer Devices

Read your emails

Or, follow us here:
    http://tamsppc.tamoggemon.com/2011/1...way-the-rules/

Once again, to save Ron work:

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR LAUNCHPAD NOW. YOU WILL NOT GET A FREE DEVICE!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Moderator

I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for Nokia to have so many question on when the devices will be delivered, how people didn't got an email yet, and so on. Its almost like after the moment they announced the magic number they are in debt to us.

I believe that Nokia should add a condition for people to receive the Phone, even the ones that are eligible. The rule would be that people receiving the phone would need to sign a agreement stating that we would make at least ONE app, and publish it on App Hub within 1 year or so. If we didnt, then we would need to give the device back or pay a fee. Another option could be have people paying to get the device, something like $100-$150, that would grant developers a free MS App hub registration (valued in $99 so the phone would be almost free). I bet with you any day that if this was the case, it would have a much higher impact on on the market. I wonder how many of the 25k lucky ones will be using the device to develop or promote either Nokia or WP7 as it is.

I'm probably one of the eligible devs because I'm a member for launchpad for some months now, so I'm going against myself here. Still I would be willing to accept these conditions.

Cheers

Nice suggestion joaocardoso.. i agree...
    But i am sure there are some devs who would suggest against this

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
    Nice suggestion joaocardoso.. i agree...
    But i am sure there are some devs who would suggest against this
    I would accept the fee if it would be prorated against future prolongements. Especially with inflation upcoming, knowing that Nokia eats the fee next year would make me sleep much better.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

"Show of proof" is a great idea. Whether it's previously successful, published apps, or a prepayment on dev. phones. Maybe someday, it'll all be packaged as part of a $99/year developer store access fee if phones become cheap enough?

---

That said, MS is pushing out a new platform and starting from the position of last place with the new WinPhone 7 platform. It's serious about seeding and growing developers, which is why we're likely seeing so many devices being pushed out free to developers. It's a nice touch!

That said, some other aspects of the developer program this year could get some more focus.
    eg. Like waiting 9+ months for my Launchpad application to go through =o
    (Is there nobody checking to make sure >30 day applications are promptly processed?!?)
    eg. Like publishing a clear map of the future of Symbian & WinPhone at Nokia.
    (If internal plans are to totally kill off S60 by mid 2012, let's say, no point even starting development.)
    eg. Like coming up with smaller deltas for Qt releases.
    (Off-line ISOs pushing well past 1GB, can't update older Qt installs to the latest version every couple of Qt releases, and far bigger than MS WinPhone7.1 SDK?!)

Simple things to take care of, but such tiny roadblocks build up over time, and what happens to great developers? They ignore Nokia/MS and go off developing Apple apps in the meantime while waiting for something as simple as Launchpad.

Thus, free phones are necessary to overcome these roadblocks and pull developers into this world.

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    "Show of proof" is a great idea. Whether it's previously successful, published apps, or a prepayment on dev. phones. Maybe someday, it'll all be packaged as part of a $99/year developer store access fee if phones become cheap enough?

---

That said, MS is pushing out a new platform and starting from the position of last place with the new WinPhone 7 platform. It's serious about seeding and growing developers, which is why we're likely seeing so many devices being pushed out free to developers. It's a nice touch!

That said, some other aspects of the developer program this year could get some more focus.
    eg. Like waiting 9+ months for my Launchpad application to go through =o
    (Is there nobody checking to make sure >30 day applications are promptly processed?!?)
    eg. Like publishing a clear map of the future of Symbian & WinPhone at Nokia.
    (If internal plans are to totally kill off S60 by mid 2012, let's say, no point even starting development.)
    eg. Like coming up with smaller deltas for Qt releases.
    (Off-line ISOs pushing well past 1GB, can't update older Qt installs to the latest version every couple of Qt releases, and far bigger than MS WinPhone7.1 SDK?!)

Simple things to take care of, but such tiny roadblocks build up over time, and what happens to great developers? They ignore Nokia/MS and go off developing Apple apps in the meantime while waiting for something as simple as Launchpad.

Thus, free phones are necessary to overcome these roadblocks and pull developers into this world.
    Yeah.. waiting for one's Launchpad account to get activated often forces the developer to go and try other platforms

Hmm, let us see... Launchpad membership comes with:
    • Early and exclusive access to e.g. technical information and materials on upcoming technologies.
    • Two free technical support cases pushed to your account when the membership is activated.
    • Company members have access to the Device Distribution to purchase Nokia devices at discount for development and testing purposes.
    • Get invited to key regional and global Nokia events and trainings.
    (from http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devel...aunchpad.xhtml)
    The absence of which one prevents a developer from developing?

Has anyone who got the free E7 received the Lumia yet? If yes, was it a Lumia 800 or 710? Also, did you receive any email about it?

Cheers
    http://www.ic-mobile.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
    Has anyone who got the free E7 received the Lumia yet? If yes, was it a Lumia 800 or 710? Also, did you receive any email about it?

Cheers
    I dont think anyone got the email yet. I bet we will see a of enthusiasm here and on blogs as soon the first ones start to get delivered

Cant say about others but i didnt get any

I've sent an email to the Devloper Program and got a reply that we will get a Lumia. They are working on it.

Yeah.. thats what they reply.. But nobody gives an approximate idea about the dates...

in the post it was written both lumia 800 and lumia 710
    are those devices gonna be distributed individually or on some rule basis?
    eg some people will get 710 and some people might get 800!!
    #justsayin

Currently no one has any information regarding this.. you will get an email when the devices would be available

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

I will keep people updated once they start shipping. My understanding is that only Lumia 800s will ship this year.

Ron