Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking Free Developer Devices

I just saw this post on wmpoweruser... does anyone here have any details on this?!?

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-giving-...to-developers/

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Free Developer Devices

Yes this was announced at Nokia World, and some of the first to be seeded are the Nokia Developer Champions, Pro and LaunchPad members that were sent a letter in Februrary.

The rest will be seeded to true developers who attend training and other associted type events. They will not go to someone just becuse they say they are developing for WP on Nokia.

Ron

Any dates Ron???

Hello Ron, I'm a developer for Nokia, a Launchpad Member and selected developer for MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan, i'm one of the lucky who have the Nokia N950.
    I'm selected for this program or not? If the answer is "No", can I do anything to be selected? I would like to continue to develop for Nokia and its new platform.
    Thanks

So even if you've been a windows phone developer and released apps... if you haven't been to a training you don't get one?

I have 6 apps on the marketplace right now(more coming) and would love to be able to test with a Nokia phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    Yes this was announced at Nokia World, and some of the first to be seeded are the Nokia Developer Champions, Pro and LaunchPad members that were sent a letter in Februrary.

The rest will be seeded to true developers who attend training and other associted type events. They will not go to someone just becuse they say they are developing for WP on Nokia.

Ron
    According to http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-windows...tarting-today/ there is only one road show event in the USA in Silicon Valley at an unnamed place and time. I cannot get away from Seattle long enough to attend. Where's the info on the online videos? What constitutes "training and other associated type events"? Is online video enough of an interest? I am working on Android, but am interested in seeing what the new Windows phone has to offer.

Ron
    What about the people who can't go to training events due to the costs of getting to the nearest events, and are genuinely interested in Windows Phone development. I have 2 published webOS apps (would be more if HP didn't mess that up), and am currently working on an Android and iOS app for college. Microsoft let me down with their offer of devices for webOS developers, so I was hoping I might be able to get something from Nokia to kickstart my Windows Phone development. I'd love to attend events, but I simply don't have the money to.
    Last edited by Popple3; 2011-10-29 at 15:26.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Popple3 View Post
    What about the people who can't go to training events due to the costs of getting to the nearest events, and are genuinely interested in Windows Phone development.
    Material accessible from http://create.msdn.com is completely free

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Material accessible from http://create.msdn.com is completely free
    Yeah, I have the all the tools installed and have started developing an app, but I can't rely solely on the simulator for testing, especially when I want use multitouch events. I'm also a big believer in "tasting your own dog food" i.e. live with your app, and you'll fix bugs, tweak UX, implement new features, etc.

I'm not saying I should just be handed a phone, I'm more than willing to work for it, but I can't afford to go to events.

Nokia Developer Moderator

There is no announced distribution policy. However it is rather probable that some kind of 'history' is required for getting a device. 25000 seems to be a large number, but the 7 billionth living person is supposed to born this week (some calculates today).
    If you are still a student, you can check if the free AppHub registration via DreamSpark applies to you, and your school may also have ways to get devices/support.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    There is no announced distribution policy. However it is rather probable that some kind of 'history' is required for getting a device. 25000 seems to be a large number, but the 7 billionth living person is supposed to born this week (some calculates today).
    If you are still a student, you can check if the free AppHub registration via DreamSpark applies to you, and your school may also have ways to get devices/support.
    I realise in the grand scale of things, 25000 devices isn't that much. Yeah, I can get the free AppHub registration through DreamSpark, and I've already asked about getting devices in college, but unfortunately they can't.

Oh well, I'll wait until the policy is announced, and see if there's anything I can do to be deemed eligible, otherwise I'll just have to try save up.

Thanks for your help

Ron
    I'm a recipient of the Nokia N950 via the MeeGo.com Community Device Program, and had my Launchpad account set up July this year. I have also signed up for an AppHub account too. Will I be eligible to have one then?

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...gWindowsPhone&
    Get your answers here.. received it this morning...

I'm a Nokia Launchpad Individual member and have been since May of this year (though I dare say I haven't ventured to post here before) - any target dates for sending out the email on how to get the device?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by derfbwh View Post
    I'm a Nokia Launchpad Individual member and have been since May of this year (though I dare say I haven't ventured to post here before) - any target dates for sending out the email on how to get the device?
    You will receive the email regarding the order info for this device. The exact date is not mention by nokia yet.
    Jajal Mehul