Discussion Board

LLCP on Symbian^3

I want to develop a nfc p2p application for Symbian^3, but the com.nokia.nfc.llcp package is missing in the Symbian^3 SDK NFC Plugin.
    When I built a midlet with the SDK for the Nokia 6212, I was able to open a llcp connection on a Nokia 700, although the system property "com.nokia.nfc.llcp.version" returns null.
    Unfortunately there are some changes (e.g. ServiceID has been renamed to ProtocolID, NFCIPConnection was removed completely) in the API. It's very confusing, that there exist so many different versions of the Contactless Communication API Extensions (6131, 6212, Symbian Anna, Symbian Belle).
    Where can I see which device supports which version of the Contactless Cummunication API Extensions and where can I find an SDK which supports LLCP connections on Symbian^3?

Super Contributor

Re: LLCP on Symbian^3

Hi,
    Some info:
    From JSR-257 API point of view there is no difference between 6212 and C7 devices – i.e. a Java MIDlet which runs on 6212 will also run on C7.
    For NFC peer to peer communication specification (a.k.a LLCP) there are differences between these two.

Thanks for your reply!
    But what are the p2p differences in detail? Do the new Symbian mobiles like Nokia 700 support LLCP over Java or not?
    The link listener gets notified that a link has been established, but when I try to open a llcp connection, I get "unsupported connection mode".
    Last edited by hbklink; 2011-11-21 at 13:59.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    Here is some info (I am not sure about any others differences)
    PID (protocol ID) is different for S40 and S60 and I also heard (I have not tested it myself) that LLCP app for S40 may is not compatible at all with S60. If I find some other info I could post here.

Have you ever tried to run a llcp midlet like the "Simple NFC LLCP peer-to-peer Chat"-Sample on a Nokia 700? It's seems that it has been written for the C7, so I expected that it will run on the 700, but it doesn't.

Another question: Which version of LLCP is implemented on Nokia 6212? It seems there are real big differences to LLCP 1.1, because I receive very strange PDUs. As far as I know the 6212 came out in 2008, and LLCP 1.0 was published 2009. So perhaps there were big changes in the meantime and that's the reason for the strange bytes?