Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question about transferring JAD file and icon file to a phone.

I'm trying to make the MIDlet icon appear on a phone, and in that regard, I have a question about transferring the JAD file and the icon file to the phone.

The below shows the contents of the JAD file named "ChoiceGroupOptionActionTest10Win7.jad":

MIDlet-1: ChoiceGroupOptionActionTest10Win7,/icon.png,com.example.choicegroupoptionactiontest10win7.ChoiceGroupOptionActionTest10Win7
    MIDlet-Icon: icon.png
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 14589
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: ChoiceGroupOptionActionTest10Win7.jar
    MIDlet-Name: ChoiceGroupOptionActionTest10Win7 MIDlet Suite
    MIDlet-Vendor: MIDlet Suite Vendor
    MIDlet-Version: 1.0.0
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.1
    I double-checked the icon file name itself to make sure that it is "icon.png" in all lowercase letters. (It is.)

Also, below are the contents of the "ChoiceGroupOptionActionTest10Win7.jar" file:

com/example/choicegroupoptionactiontest10win7/ChoiceGroupOptionActionTest10Win7.class
    com/example/choicegroupoptionactiontest10win7/Comparator.class
    com/example/choicegroupoptionactiontest10win7/RF.class
    com/example/choicegroupoptionactiontest10win7/RFExact.class
    META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    Using the Nokia PC Suite, I am able to transfer the JAR file to the phone, by means of the application installation feature. The phone is a C1-01, a Series 40 6th Edition Lite model. I can see and run the application, but the application icon that I made is not displayed. Am I supposed to transfer the JAD file to the phone also, and if so, how should one transfer it? I tried using the application installation feature of the PC Suite to transfer it, but I was unable to do so. I could use the drag-and-drop feature of the PC Suite to transfer it, but that places it in the gallery.

Likewise, I am unable to transfer the application icon by means of the PC Suite application installation feature. I can transfer it by means of the drag-and-drop feature, and the icon then is viewable in the gallery, but it does not appear as the icon for the application. Incidentally, the icon is an 8-bit PNG image with dimensions of 24 x 24 pixels. The screen resolution of the C1-01 phone is 128 x 160 pixels. More details about the phone are available at the below two links:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...cations/C1-01/

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...s/nokia-c1-01/

Finally, am I not supposed to transfer the JAD file and the PNG files by themselves, but instead supposed to do something else to incorporate them into the JAR file or something?

Super Contributor

Re: Question about transferring JAD file and icon file to a phone.

At least, if you configure a web server for the correct MIME types for .jad and .jar files, put the .jad and .jar files on the server, and then use the .jad file URL on the phone to download and install the MIDlet, then the installation will be done fully (including the .jad; otherwise just the .jar is used and installed).

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the information, petrib. Because I don't have the means by which to utilize a server, does that mean that I will not be able to make the application icon appear on the phone, or is there something that I am supposed to do with the .jar file that will enable the icon to appear?

Super Contributor

Any PC can be a server, such as your development PC. If you can't control the firewall at your office or home so that you can access it from the Internet, at least you can from your local WLAN, if you also use a phone model that has WLAN support, of course.

Regular Contributor

Thank you again, petrib. My phone does not have a SIM card; therefore, it does not have any networking capability other than Bluetooth, if I understand correctly. Is connecting to a server the only means by which the display of the application icon can be facilitated? On a related note, how is the application icon displayed for apps that are published to the Ovi store?

Super Contributor

When you publish to Ovi/Nokia Store, you'll deliver both the .jad and .jar files. The images (icons, screenshots) Ovi/Nokia Store shows in the catalog (on the mobile or on the web), you have to upload separately as you set up your content item (your app) for sale there.

I suppose that a PC Suite (Ovi Suite, Nokia Suite) installation of a Java app would install it properly, including its icon. Could be that it doesn't.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the additional information, petrib. When separately uploading the content to the store, will the uploaded icon then automatically get installed as an application icon on the phones of users who download the app? If yes, what folder and file path would one specify to an icon named "icon.png" in the .jad file? For example, would the path to specify be "/icon.png"?

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Question about transferring JAD file and icon file to a phone.

The application icon appeared after my most recent transfer of the .jar file to the phone by means of the application installation feature of the PC Suite.