Discussion Board

Java app LifeRemarks on Nokia N8 (save error)

Hello there,
    I'm having a little bit of trouble with LifeRemarks on my N8. It works just fine, but when I try to export the file (diary) into a .txt file, I'm not able to open the phone's drives. I can see c:, d:, e: (memory card) but I'm not able to access it. Any thoughts on the problem? I've tried to find the installation directory, and try to open from there, but I have no idea where java app saves its files.

Here are more details on my problem:
    http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...103313#M271988

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Java app LifeRemarks on Nokia N8 (save error)

Hello johnscript,

and welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!

Are you referring to this application?: http://life-remarks.en.softonic.com/java/download

Based on the page description, the application was originally designed for S60 3rd Edition devices which in turn suggests (together with the hands-on testing with the application) that most likely the application is not fully touch enabled (Nokia introduced Symbian based touch devices starting from S60 5th Edition). In order to be sure on this it would be necessary to inquire more details from the developer of the application.

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Nokia Developer Expert

The application is not designed for this particular model. You can actually long press on the drive letter. A pop up "Select" option will appear, but you will get an error when you select a drive, saying that the file cannot be written in the chosen location.
    If you are looking for a similar diary app, there is Life Journal available at the ovi store for free. If you just want the application to be able to write a text file to the file system, you can download pikMemo from ovi store. The latter can save your notes in simple .txt format and lets you select the location, where the file will be stored. Then you can use the phone's file browser to locate and open the .txt file.

r2j7 and skalogir thanks a lot for your answers. I will try to install Life Journal, but I still need a way to export what I've already wrote in Life Remarks. Any workaround on this? Maybe try to find the files where my entries are saved... Any idea where they could be? I've tried with an advanced explorer, but I didn't found them...

late edit: I've installed Life Journal. It's great, but I was not able to find the export2text function...
    Last edited by johnscript; 2011-11-04 at 14:16. Reason: additional info

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi johnscript,

Regarding the workaround of retrieving your data, if you try to compare the sizes of the phone's available disk space before and after you type an entry, you will see that the numbers match. This most likely means that the application writes its data to the phone's persistant storage (RMS). If that's the case it's not possible to access the data outside the application.

Regarding Life Journal, it only supports FaceBook sharing. You might want to search ovi store for other diary-like applications, that might have an export functionality. Or, if you just need an application that only writes a text file to the phone's system, you can search for editors in ovi store. As I mentioned in my previous post, pikMemo is a memo editor that extracts .txt files (there is a trial version).