Discussion Board

Nokia vs Android vs iPhone

Where is Nokia's strength vs iOS vs Android? Can Nokia survive and prosper, how?

The ancient adage "The software is the computer" still applies. I believe iOS' enormous success is due to a disciplined, stringent app development & distribution environment, paired with engineers' vision for excellent hardware. I strongly believe the market follows a well implemented vision.

I perceive Nokia as a confused player in smartphone market. A new direction is needed. Actually, I think all the requirements exist at Nokia, they just need to be made to fit and pulled together.

Concentrate on a consistent OS. I like Symbian - it is light-weight, yet flexible (please please don't go Microsoft!). What's bad is the haphazard implementation across the range with features wildly differing and annoying subtle differences between models. Hardware is almost GREAT. I'm looking at 2710 Nav.Ed., C3-01 and C7. Battery life is good on these. GPS and Ovi maps are fantastic value. I use an iPhone and I'm annoyed because unlike my Nokias I cant even update my contacts via Bluetooth and have to charge it all the time. Things require many steps to do. I prefer my Nokias in many cases. But the deal breakers are: C3-01 - no VoIP via 3G, no GPS, launching email takes AGES. 2710 - no 3G. Combine the 2 and you'd have an almost perfect low-end phone. Make the Ovi store WORK! Far too much ad-based crap - time wasters. Make over-the-air updates WORK.

Look after your customers, give them lifetime support for the phone they bought. Make new models compelling, do not force people to upgrade by withering support for their phone - they will jump ship! Have clearly defined ranges of phones - currently even seasoned sales staff is over-challenged to give good advice re features.

Emphasise Nokia's strength - smaller size, less weight, long battery life, easier use, fast. Keep user inteface and app inclusions (social media) up-to-date with over-the-air free updates - make sure they work! In other words, create and maintain product that remains exciting for years. There you go…

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia vs Android vs iPhone

Nokia is world's largest mobile manufacturer company,, with different OS, Like S40, S60, and Now Windows Mango.

Nokia is selling world's cheapest device and also Expensive devices (smart phones),.

Nokia is also famous for battery life, but you can check for android where it stands in battery life and for iOS.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    Nokia is also famous for battery life
    More like, used to be famous, but of course perception is everything (and changes slowly).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Why would you post such thing to
    - a site about software development (Nokia Developer), while there is a site for discussing device features and usage experiences, http://www.nokia.com/discussions
    - a board called "Windows Phone", which is obviously about the Windows Phone devices, "Nokia Lumia" product line. As the devices have been announced 10 days ago, you certainly do not have a long history with them anyway
    ?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Why would you post such thing to
    - a site about software development (Nokia Developer), while there is a site for discussing device features and usage experiences, http://www.nokia.com/discussions
    ?
    It has been posted on the user discussion boards, too.

@vonkas: The world today wants smartphones that are both cheap and powerfull. I still recall that I paid over 500 euros for mobile phone 8-9 years ago that didnt had the potential or the features that the new Lumia 710 has. Lumia 710 costs about half the price I paid back then.

Symbian will continue to exist. In fact Nokia announced recently a fe more devices with it and I believe also that there is still a large market for non-smartphone devices. So if you prefer symbian stick with it. Why not?

Regarding your statement "please please don't go Microsoft!" its a bit too late dont you think? Also... I find it curious that you joined the comunity more or less by the time that Nokia announced the MS partnership. Good timing

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    Nokia is world's largest mobile manufacturer company,, with different OS, Like S40, S60, and Now Windows Mango.

Nokia is selling world's cheapest device and also Expensive devices (smart phones),.

Nokia is also famous for battery life, but you can check for android where it stands in battery life and for iOS.
    Hi rahulvala
    I am totally agree with you that Nokia is known for producing best mobiles and smartphones in India with different OS and recently it came up with its new Nokia Lumia 800 which give tough competition to other iphones.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2012-01-05 at 11:39. Reason: removed spam link

Karan1070, please do not link pricelists and other advertisement/spam-like stuff. "Nokia Developer" is a site dedicated to software development anyway, although you can find discussions dealing with products in general, they do not really belong here, and there is definitely no need for reviving such threads.

for me overall the best is nokia... I will say why...

my point of view:

DEVELOPING:
    -I'm from romania, so the only store which allows me to sell my app is OVI; also nokia have the most downloads/developer.
    -for Android and iOS the stores are very crowded and you will not get visibility unless you make a free supercool game (3D with lots of levels and phisics); plus I am allowed only free apps. Android is cool because of Adobe AIR.
    -WP7 doesn't alow to register as a romanian developer.

EVERYDAY USE:
    -my N8 is awesome, good battery life and I got more that what I need out of the box (gameconsole, HD media, netbook, music player, navigation) (I also got lumia 800, N9, X7, SGS)
    -Android/iOS/WP7 - BAD battery life
    http://m.shpe.ro
    http://work.shpe.ro
    http://purchase.shpe.ro/iPics

I think Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 are very innovative and attractive phones. Nokia is doing good job of differentiating themselves from other Windows Phone OEMS, by developing fantastic apps like City lens, counters, CNN, ESPN, Drive, Maps etc. Who ever buying a windows phone will definitely buy Nokia ones. So all the Windows Phone 8 developers will definitely have their consumer base increased.