Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Smile SMS URI scheme tests, successes and failures

SMS integration is a new feature in version 1.5 of the Web Tools, so let's test it out. Firstly, I looked over the URI scheme for SMS http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5724#section-2.2 and section 2.2 is the important bit imho.

Keep in mind that I tested this with version 1.4.0 of the Nokia Browser that I got directly from the Nokia Store. Not sure why there is a discrepency in versions between the Store and the Web Apps, but it causes problems for Web App developers.

I created a test app that had the following simple line in the body of the html
    Code:
    <a href="sms:...">test sms</a>
    Where the ... was replaced by a variety of different experiments as shown further below.

I tried the recipient number in a few formats: local and international (with and without a plus sign) and all worked well. The user was presented with the sms text entry box and the user has the chance to change the recipient as well. <Nokia Browser version 1.4 specific stuff>But, as soon as I tried appending a message body to the sms with the ?body= section then things fell over with the error "Incorrect recipient information" and the displayed number had the body tag and text shown. E.g: if my href was "sms:+123456789012?body=Hello%20World" then the whole part after the sms: was thought to be the recipient's phone number.

Broken, I thought, until I tried: href="sms:0123456789,?body=test" <-- notice the comma after the number? But no, even though this worked, it didn't work well enough as the body part still comes through as another recipient! I then noticed that, for some unfathomable reason, a semi-colon will end the list of recipients. This raises another question: why does a semi-colon ";" end the list of recipients? This isn't part of the SMS URI scheme.

Okay, so you can get the SMS integration working, but my use case for sms in a Web App is not met. I expect to be able to set the body text of an sms without a recipient phone number. The user clicks the link, opens the sms editor with my body text set, and selects their recipient. This is a classic "Share This App" feature and it is impossible to do currently without setting some number first.

My test sms links with fake numbers:
    HTML Code:
    <a href="sms:073123456">Test Link1</a> Works
    <a href="sms:27731234567">Test Link2</a> Works
    <a href="sms:+27731234567">Test Link3</a> Works
    <a href="sms:0731234567?BODY=test">Test Link4</a> FAILS
    <a href="sms:0731234567?body=test">Test Link5</a> FAILS
    <a href="sms:0731234567,0821234567?body=test">Test Link6</a> FAILS and crashes phone when viewing recipients in sms editor
    <a href="sms:0731234567,0821234567;?body=test">Test Link6b</a> Works
    <a href="sms:0731234567;?body=test">Test Link7</a> Works
    <a href="sms:;?body=test">Test Link8</a> Fails
    </Nokia Browser version 1.4 specific stuff>

With v1.5.0 of the Nokia Browser, most of these problems seem resolved. Including my use case as seen below

HTML Code:
    <a href="sms:073123456">Test Link 1</a> Works
    <a href="sms:27731234567">Test Link 2</a> Works
    <a href="sms:+27731234567">Test Link 3</a> Works
    <a href="sms:0731234567?BODY=test">Test Link 4</a> FAILS - case sensitive attributes
    <a href="sms:0731234567?body=test">Test Link 5</a> Works
    <a href="sms:0731234567,0821234567?body=test">Test Link 6</a> Works
    <a href="sms:0731234567,0821234567;?body=test">Test Link 7</a> Works
    <a href="sms:0731234567;?body=test">Test Link 8</a> Works
    <a href="sms:?body=test">Test Link 9</a> Works - thanks :)
    So, in summary of the SMS integration: nice idea, Only use on Nokia Browser 1.5.0 and up.
    Recommendation: (redacted: Wait until the bugs are fixed before trying to) Use today in your web apps in Nokia Browser 1.5.0 (and only use if you are not trying to get users to sms premium rated numbers ).

Regards,
    Stephen
    Last edited by sperelson; 2011-11-07 at 14:00. Reason: Changed outcomes for Nokia Browser 1.5.0

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: SMS URI scheme tests and failures

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for valuable feedback!

I ran your test cases and only links 4. and 8. failed on my Nokia X3-02 running Nokia Browser 1.5.0.34.13.
    Could you tell what was the browser version and device model you used in testing? (especially Test Link 6). I would need that data for a bug report.

Please note, that current version of Web App Simulator does not support correct format of SMS URI scheme. WAS is expecting ";" delimiter instead of "?". This bug will be fixed in upcoming releases.

Following format works for me, if you just want to set body text, without number.
    Code:
    <a href="sms:?body=hello%20world">Body text, no numbers</a>
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...es_40_web_apps

Br,
    Ilkka

Hi Ilkka,

Thank you for testing my code as well. I'm looking forward to trying your no-number version later.

I understand that the published app will force the user to download version 1.5 of the Nokia Browser. But I downloaded Nokia Browser 1.4.0 as it was the one that was (and is still only) available on the Nokia Store for my X3-02 just before I started testing a few days ago. Why this older version exists in the Nokia Store is a little perplexing. I will force the older Nokia Browser (1.0.2) that is still installed to upgrade to 1.5 and will modify the tests in my original post.

I tested the sms functionality via this version of the Nokia Browser on the X3-02 to verify the behaviour on device.

Regards,
    Stephen
    Last edited by sperelson; 2011-11-07 at 09:45.

Quote Originally Posted by isalento View Post
    I ran your test cases and only links 4. and 8. failed on my Nokia X3-02 running Nokia Browser 1.5.0.34.13\
    Following format works for me, if you just want to set body text, without number.
    Code:
    <a href="sms:?body=hello%20world">Body text, no numbers</a>
    Great stuff. v1.5 of the Nokia Browser handles this much better. I don't even consider the two non-working cases to be bugs. And thanks for verifying the sms link for a missing recipient number. That works as well as I had hoped and I will be using that feature soon.

Regards,
    Stephen

Nokia Developer Expert

Nice to know that you got it working with 1.5 version of the browser

Having Beta versions of the browser around is indeed confusing. Let's see if there is something we can do about it. In the meanwhile I will add a chapter into Series 40 Web Apps FAQ, which explains what version should be used in development and where it can be downloaded.

Br,
    Ilkka

Re: SMS URI scheme tests, successes and failures

Thanx for the great feedback Stephen.

1.5 SMS integration working fine in our apps now.
    I do agree, there should be only 1 browser for all. http://browser.ovi.com/en points to 1.4 while http://download.browser.ovi.com/ points to 1.5
    Nokia has a new policy:

"ONE Nokia managed store across our entire device portfolio.
    •ONE Nokia message for developers, through all channels, with ONE Nokia portal.
    •ONE set of goals and targets across DXM, Markets and the Business Units."

My thinking is that as per your comment there should be ONE Nokia browser.
    It should always be the most up to date version for everyone even if that means its in beta.
    Future versions should always be backward compatible,so that older apps continue to work even if new browsers are installed.

Btw your S40 feedback in the forum really is great. Keep it up and one day soon you might become a Nokia Developer Champion. You have my vote