Discussion Board

PDF Viewer for Symbian

Hi!

I have now twice seen that it could be possible to create a PDF viewer for Symbian by using Qt and the Poppler libraries: once by a POC that I made and the second time by this guy here. I used QtQuick for the GUI on my version.

The problem here is that these both run really well on the Simulator on the Qt SDK on Linux, but I and it seems like no-one else either get these to run on a real device. I know that Alternatereader uses the Poppler library, so it is possible to get it to work.

The question now is: how? Seems like there's someone with a compiled library out there which could be used with the Qt project, but I haven't reached him by private messages and he was last active a few months ago.

I wish there was people interrested in this type of project, as the PDF viewer shipped with the Symbian devices (Adobe software) is extremely bad, and if only the Poppler library worked with the Symbian devices it would be really easy to overrun it (I used probably just an hour to get the proof-of-concept app to work in the simulator). Alternatereader doesn't officially support S^3 devices, and it really isn't on par with PDF readers on other mobile platforms (which could be really easily achieved with Qt+Poppler).

Is there anyone here capable of compiling the Poppler library for Symbian so that it could be used with Qt SDK, or contribute any other ideas to how to move forward with this idea?

Super Contributor

Re: PDF Viewer for Symbian

Why not make the Poplar files part of your product rather than act as an external dll?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Super Contributor

This topic was discussed : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...pdf-file-in-Qt

regards,
    rahul

Does this mean that I could just put the Poppler files into the Qt project? I have tried this, but with little success. Do you have any tips on how this should be basically done?

Rahul: Seems like they have discussed this topic, but it seems like the thread is of no help.

Super Contributor

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qq/qq27-poppler.html

From where poppler is available : http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

regards,
    rahul

Thank you rahulvala, but the problem is not that I couldn't get the thing to run on desktop, that's a no-brainer, but I can't get it to run on Symbian. The question is: how can one get the Poppler library to run on Symbian?