Discussion Board

BT - Api only on Symbian Belle?

Hi,
    I want to thank you for this API! I was waiting it since last year

MAPS API is also available... I am sooo happy!

I have a great idea for an app I want create. I need BT. I tried it yesterday but it does not work like expected.

Is it possible that it works only on Symbian Belle? On Symbian Anna with Qt 4.7.4 the BT does not activate automatically and I can't find any devices, but the app works without errors.

If it should work also on Anna, I will try to find out because it doesn't work on my phone...

Thanks, Tiger54

PS: I have other questions about the BT, hope someone can help me answering, so I don't have to test it :P
    1 - On a soccer-field, is the BT range enough to cover it from one side to the other?
    ---- Maybe I know this answer :P What is the guaranteed range?
    2 - If a connection is lost, does I need to pair the devices again or can I connect them again in 1-2 seconds?
    3 - How many connection can I open? I want to create a server with 10 clients, and at the same time it must connect as client to 10 servers. Is it possible?
    I discovered Qt in the summer 2010, it was sooo easy and nice to use, that I begun to write some apps.
    Thank you Nokia, for giving me this possibility!

Re: BT - Api only on Symbian Belle?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger54 View Post
    1 - On a soccer-field, is the BT range enough to cover it from one side to the other?
    ---- Maybe I know this answer :P What is the guaranteed range?
    For the Bluetooth that all the devices have, the range limit is 10m in open air without any interference. So i suppose what you want is out of range.

2 - If a connection is lost, does I need to pair the devices again or can I connect them again in 1-2 seconds?
    If a pairing had been completed successfully in the past then it doesn't have to be done again in the future. So you will be able to reconnect in less that the 2 seconds that you mention.

3 - How many connection can I open? I want to create a server with 10 clients, and at the same time it must connect as client to 10 servers. Is it possible?
    From the Bluetooth specifications you can simultaneously be connected with up to 7 devices. But not all devices support this limit.

EDIT: Also it would be easier if you could say what problems did you have while using the Bluetooth API.

Re: BT - Api only on Symbian Belle?

Thank you favoritas!
    I want to write a game like paintball, but using the phone as gun. But with a range of 10m, it is impossible
    Maybe I have to write a solution that use WiFi instead of BT, but there is no API for a server-client application.

I have a lot of problems with the new BT-API on Anna. For example this code (from tennis example):
    Code:
    // start Bluetooth if not started
        QBluetoothLocalDevice *device = new QBluetoothLocalDevice();
        device->powerOn();
        delete device;
        device = 0;
    Should start the bt. But the bt never starts. If I search other devices also if the BT is off, the app crashes.

But with 10m, I can say goodbye to my project
    I discovered Qt in the summer 2010, it was sooo easy and nice to use, that I begun to write some apps.
    Thank you Nokia, for giving me this possibility!