Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Problem in S60 keypad

Hi All,

I am having a j2me application,which I had tested on S40(Nokia 2700 classic) and S60( Nokia E71) handsets.
    On S40 the application works perfectly(i.e it displays the correct alphabets when the corresponding key is pressed)
    but on Nokia E71 handset, when I press the key "Q" it does not get displayed(ie it does not take the default keypad of E71).

How can I make my application to respond to the default keypad of NokiaE71(S60 mobile).

Thanks,
    Suraj

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Problem in S60 keypad

Hi,

So you have created a UI interface where typing is possible and the Q letter is not displayed when pressed. What UI interface have you created? Is it a form with a TextField, do you draw on a Canvas or do you use another UI Framework, such as the LWUIT in order to display the UI and get input from the user? Can you provide a code sample? What's the device's software version? Can you see the Q letter when you use the device's native messaging application (while typing a message)?

Regular Contributor

hi,

I think there is some miss understanding.I will explain the point in other way.

E71 has a qwerty keypad but 2700 classic has normal keypad.

Now on Nokia 2700 classic it takes correct keys.

But on E71 only the number keypad can be used to type letters as well Numbers but to do that I need to activate the keypad using function key.

so
    2--> abc
    3-->def and so on

and thus I cannot use the default keypad of E71

thanks,
    Suraj

Nokia Developer Expert

So if I understand correctly, your problem is that the default keypad mode when launching a java application on your E71 is not the qwerty mode. Because of that you have to quick press twice the function key to enter the qwerty mode and be able to press the qwerty keys such as Q, W etc .

If that's the case, I did some testing. I created the following simple java program that contains only one text field:
    Code:
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.Display;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.Form;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.TextField;
    import javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet;
    import javax.microedition.midlet.MIDletStateChangeException;

public class TextFieldexample extends MIDlet {
    	Form f;
    	TextField text;
    	protected void destroyApp(boolean arg0) throws MIDletStateChangeException {}

protected void pauseApp() {}

protected void startApp() throws MIDletStateChangeException {
    		// TODO Auto-generated method stub
    		f=new Form("My TextField");
    		text=new TextField("Test", "", 13, TextField.ANY);
    		f.append(text);
    		Display.getDisplay(this).setCurrent(f);
    	}
    }
    Every time I launch the application, the default mode is the Qwerty mode, so I can press without any problems the Q key. When I press twice the Function key, I enter into numeric mode, and therefore I can only press the numeric keys. But if I exit and re-enter the application, the mode returns back automatically to Qwerty, without me having to press the Function key again.

This might be an issue related to the software running on your phone. I did my testing on 510.21.009 (19-03-2011). Can you update your phone to the latest software version using Ovi Suite and try again?

Regular Contributor

Hi

No. that is not the case.
    I know that I need to shift between numeric and alphabetic using function.
    When I shift to alphabetic mode the keys are not working but when I shift to numeric mode,
    I can able to type the numbers plus I can also type alphabets but only the numbers keys are active

For example to type "H" I need to press 2 times 4 button just like s40 mobile.

thanks,
    Suraj

Nokia Developer Expert

So, you want to type letters in numeric mode? That's not possible I am afraid. When entering numeric mode (by quick pressing the Function key twice), only numbers can be typed (as well some other characters such as *#+-). In qwerty mode both characters and numbers can be displayed, though the numbers can be displayed by long pressing the appropriate key. If you want a non-qwerty behavior of the numeric area of the keyboard, i.e. a short press to change letters and long press to give you the number, you have to implement your own numeric to alphabetic translation while listening for key presses. The LCDUI Canvas class provides methods that can help you distinguish when a key is short or long pressed by using these methods: keyPressed() and keyRepeated().

More information here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...ui/Canvas.html
    Last edited by skalogir; 2011-11-15 at 13:15.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

The default keypad for alphabets is not working.

Regards,

Suraj

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Suraj,

It's not that it is not working. This is how the keyboard input on E71 is designed. You cannot get the letter "H" by pressing two times the 4 key, as you do with other phones.

In order to get the letter "H" on E71 you need to press the "6" key once in Qwerty mode.

If you are writing your own application for E71 and you want the same assignment of keys as the assignment in non-qwerty phones, so that pressing the "4" key once gives you "G", pressing it twice gives you "H", pressing it three times gives you "I", and long pressing it gives you 4, you need to write your own code. As I mentioned in my previous post, by using the Canvas class you can get the user's key presses, translate them to the letters that you want, and display these letters instead. For example when the user presses the key 4 or F on E71, this generates a keyPressed(int keyCode) with keyCode value 52. You can catch this key press and display instead of "F", your desired letter, in your case "H".