Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Cool How to create application icons for symbian applications for symbian mobiles

How to create application icons for symbian applications for symbian mobiles. Which is the easiest and worthy tool to create icons and what procedure to be followed.
    I was said by many technical experts that inkscape renders faulty resultsor output.

as far as a im concerned at my side icons was showing with inkscape and not for QA people after submission of my contents.
    Last edited by GTO_India; 2011-11-14 at 20:21.

Super Contributor

Re: How to create application icons for symbian applications for symbian mobiles

Have a look at this article.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to create application icons for symbian applications for symbian mobiles

Check this article also. This is also a useful page.
    Jajal Mehul

Super Contributor

Hi James I will try to learn and implement your article .

Super Contributor

Cool Re: How to create application icons for symbian applications for symbian mobiles

Hi Savaj I will try to learn and implement your article too.

Regular Contributor

And please post further questions on the subject here.

One good way is to download a Trial version of Adobe Illustrator.
    Export SVG 1.0 format from there. It should convert nicely to Symbian icon.

Super Contributor

I tried svg converter to make svg image to svg tiny image also, but not worked yet.

Super Contributor

Cool How to create our own application icon for s60 3rd ,5th snd symbian 3 phones

I have presently Adobe illustrator , Adobe photoshop , Inkscape and also svg converter with me. I dont know one thing when I am not facing that problem at my side why will the QA people are facing that issue?.

If I use Inkscape which image to be converted into svg. I have to take png or bmp image as base . Any particular sizes etc for svg icons also. In the metadata I included 256x256PNG accroding to metadata rules only. But any rules during the build of creating icon.

Regular Contributor

Re: How to create our own application icon for s60 3rd ,5th snd symbian 3 phones

If you see the icon working on your device, take a photo of it working and send that to OVI store QA.
    After this ask them to send a picture of how it looks in their end.

Regular Contributor

Not worked? But you said that the icons were working when you tested?

Super Contributor

teemup u explain me the best and easy and non canfusing method of creating application icon. I have all tools with me.

Regular Contributor

You didn't answer to my question. You have said before multiple times that your icon works when you test it on device. So is it not?

I suggest you first take SVG icon from some example project (for example, look up some project in Projects) try if that works. Remember you need to reboot the machine in between tests if you change the icon.

I believe there are several non-confusing methods already described. Simplest way for me has been to export to SVG 1.0 from Illustrator.

Nokia Developer Champion

As most of the steps are already mentioned in the below threads, lets just try this and see what happen. you can get some sample SVG icon from Nokia. Try to open it in inkscape and made the changes on top of it. Now set the icon in your project and install the app.
    As mentioned in #12 the icon may not reflect after you install, so reboot the device and see if its there, make sure the app is not there in the device while you install, i mean uninstall the app and then install it back again.

also while saving the file in inkscape , select "plain SVG". See if this helps you. This will help you to find out the issue, whether is the inkscape or icon creation. this is what best I can see right now from my end.
    Last edited by somnathbanik; 2011-11-23 at 06:55. Reason: added

Super Contributor

somnath made the changes on top of it.? Ok I will try again as u said.

Super Contributor

Ok I followed the procedure somnath.