Discussion Board

Question Submit a Python/Pyside based application to OVI store?

I am trying to update one of my Python/Pyside application in teh OVI store, but QA always fails.
    Target: N9 (Harmattan)

Earlier versions as well as other similar applications passed without issues.

One of the main issues is the required installation of python-pyside.
    This seems not to be installed out of the box, but is provided through Nokia in one of the official repositories.

So when you try to install the apps, it sais something like this: "Dependency Notice: To complete installation of ..., additional applications need to be downloaded and installed [...]".

This how ever seems to be a reason for not passing the QA:
    Applications must NOT require additional downloads. If the MeeGo application contains a "Dependency Notice", please fail the application for linking to external repositories.
    After accepting this, the installation successes and the application runs without issues.

So what do I have to do to pass the QA?
    Other versions as well as other apps passed it!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Submit a Python/Pyside based application to OVI store?

Hi CaCO3,

Can you give me your content item ID or the name of your application so I can forward this to the QA team to review? I will provide you with the resolution steps in order to get this app passed.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thank you for your quick response!

The application ID is 208548

Please note that I also sent a request to developer.support@nokia.com yesterday.
    Here in the forum I was mainly looking for a general advice how to handle this "external repository" issue.

Nokia Developer Expert

You mentioned that you have come across applications that have managed to bypass this requirement. Would you happen to have the links or names of these applications?
    Andrew
    Follow @AndrewAtNokia on Twitter for news and updates about Nokia Publish!
    Andrew is now on Facebook to assist you with any publishing related inquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nokia View Post
    You mentioned that you have come across applications that have managed to bypass this requirement. Would you happen to have the links or names of these applications?
    I hope you are not going to ban those applications due changes in the QA requirements!
    Since I have no access to the source code or deb file of other applications, I only can speak about my own applications. In http://store.ovi.com/publisher/George%20Ruinelli/ you can see that I already added 3 Python/QML applications to OVI store which all previously passed QA.
    The changes I made on MiniBible are only small, so there is no reason to fail it now.

Thank you for having a look on that and also for adding many other tipps & resources for OVI store publications!

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

This is indeed NOT what is supposed to happen. Python is provided from official Nokia repositories, and therefore they are NOT external dependencies. I'll see that the issue is fixed ASAP.

As a non-related comment, may I suggest that instead of depending on the python-pyside metapackage, you'd depend on the actual modules that are minimally required for your application installation? That would reduce the dependency download sizes quite a bit.

Also, apologies for the late reply. I was given the heads-up just a few moments ago.

Best,

Matti Airas
    Harmattan Python Project Manager
    Nokia

Quote Originally Posted by mairas View Post
    Hi,

This is indeed NOT what is supposed to happen. Python is provided from official Nokia repositories, and therefore they are NOT external dependencies. I'll see that the issue is fixed ASAP.
    Thank you for taking care of it!

Quote Originally Posted by mairas View Post
    As a non-related comment, may I suggest that instead of depending on the python-pyside metapackage, you'd depend on the actual modules that are minimally required for your application installation? That would reduce the dependency download sizes quite a bit.
    Where do I see the list of all packages contained in python-pyside?
    I.E. for Debian I can see in http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-pyside which packages are in the python-pyside meta package. But for Harmattan we seem not to have access to the repository or the deb file.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CaCO3 View Post
    Where do I see the list of all packages contained in python-pyside?
    I.E. for Debian I can see in http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-pyside which packages are in the python-pyside meta package. But for Harmattan we seem not to have access to the repository or the deb file.
    you use apt-cache utility from command line:

[sbox-HARMATTAN_ARMEL: ~] > apt-cache show python-pyside
    Package: python-pyside
    Source: pyside
    Version: 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6
    Architecture: all
    Maintainer: Bruno Araujo
    Installed-Size: 132
    Depends: python-pyside.phonon (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtcore (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtgui (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtdeclarative (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtnetwork (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtopengl (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtscript (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtsql (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtsvg (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtwebkit (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6), python-pyside.qtxml (>= 1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6)
    Homepage: http://www.pyside.org/
    Priority: optional
    Section: python
    Filename: pool/harmattan-beta/free/p/pyside/python-pyside_1.0.2-1maemo1+0m6_all.deb
    Size: 96506
    SHA256: 4212d5b5511fd6f8acc78d85f4253f7ecb7c4ccb15ad8be405efd71881a3bff4
    SHA1: cb49db3e43766928715262e4dbb7f0dd2d65aac7
    MD5sum: 27c73481695541b6f8bd95b7e40deab3
    Description: Python bindings for Qt4 (big metapackage)
    Qt is a cross-platform C++ application framework. Qt's primary feature
    is its rich set of widgets that provide standard GUI functionality.
    Python bindings for Qt4 framework. This is a metapackage for all modules.
    Original-Maintainer: Debian Python Modules Team <python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
    It's usually good practice to not use metapackages in applications. But I think only way to stop anyone from using them is not to provide them

I forgot to try the most obvious way, thank you for reminding me

How ever, one issue I have:
    Sometimes its quite tricky to know which packages I really depend on.
    An easy way to test is to run it on a wiped device and see if any package is missing.
    The "Remote Device Access" would be a good thing for that, how ever I think, they are not getting wipped out after a usage.
    Is there a way to reset those test phones?
    I tried to use the "clear device" function in the settings, but it seemed not to work (resets, but does not start again).

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by CaCO3 View Post
    I forgot to try the most obvious way, thank you for reminding me

How ever, one issue I have:
    Sometimes its quite tricky to know which packages I really depend on.
    An easy way to test is to run it on a wiped device and see if any package is missing.
    The "Remote Device Access" would be a good thing for that, how ever I think, they are not getting wipped out after a usage.
    Is there a way to reset those test phones?
    I tried to use the "clear device" function in the settings, but it seemed not to work (resets, but does not start again).
    I just want to let you know that the issue on the use of external repositories have been removed from your application. This content is now published on the store.
    Andrew
    Follow @AndrewAtNokia on Twitter for news and updates about Nokia Publish!
    Andrew is now on Facebook to assist you with any publishing related inquiries.