Discussion Board

Question Bitmap font by LWUIT resource editor

I need to create Bitmap font for hindi language or Devanagari Script (Mangal face) But In LWUIT resource Editor Character set is ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.,;:!@/\*()[]{}|#$%^&<>?'"+- But in preview it is displaying as Square Boxes. I am new to this area. Please explain me step by step. Thanks in advance..

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Bitmap font by LWUIT resource editor

Hi sreeNarayana,

I am using Devanagari-Inscript with Resource Editor (LWUIT 1.5) and I can see the letters successfully in the preview. I am using the Monospace Family and 20 size. This might depend on the JDK ( Java SE Development Kit ) you have installed in your system.
    Try downloading the latest version from here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html

hello Skalogir
    First of all thanks for reply. I am already using jdk1.6 i.e., new version only.. I checked with latest version 1.7 also. I am also using LWUIT1.5 Still I am facing with same problem. you have mentioned that, you used Monospace family but this is for English language only. I need Hindi language characters.. Mangal family is for Hindi (Devanagari) script. So when I select Mangal from selection Box, in charactset Text area it displays as ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.,;:!@/\*()[]{}|#$%^&<>?'"+- and in preview it displays square boxes.. Do I need to install any other software to support Hindi language in my system. Did you got my problem..

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi sreeNarayana,

Change the keyboard language in your windows system from English to Hindi as you normally do and type the Hindi-Devanagari letters in the charset box. The charset is the set of letters that your custom font object will include. After typing the Hindi letters in the charset box, you will be able to see the letters in the preview, by selecting the Monospaced option in the Family section.

hello Skalogir,

I did as on you said. I did one simple program. I used .res file as resource. In this I added a label and text area in form. I have been testing the application with Nokia 6233 which is 40s mobile. It supports Hindi, English, China, Japan. I used Hindi (Mangal Family) Resource. It has been displaying properly in Text Area. But in Label it is not displaying properly.

Again I tried with Telugu language (Goutami family) . Same problem in label. In text Area it is displaying some chinese or japanese.

please can you give any suggestions on it. Is this independent of system font ?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi sreeNarayana,

Given that the same character set is supported on one component (TextArea) but not the other (Label), this is an LWUIT related problem. If you create a form using the standard LCDUI components, you will be able see correctly the localized letters.
    You might want to report this to oracle's support as LWUIT is their product:
    https://support.oracle.com/CSP/ui/flash.html

Also check the LWUIT forum, in case you can get any support from them:
    http://www.java.net/forums/mobile-embedded/lwuit

hi skalogir,

First of all thank you for continously guiding to me on this issue.

How to access Resource file, if I want to build with LCDUI. There is no Resources class in java microedition. It is available only in LWUIT. OR Is there any way to do with canvas by LWUIT.

Nokia Developer Expert

You can only access a Resource file created with Resource Editor, with LWUIT classes. So you cannot access the file with LCDUI.

LCDUI does support Hindi, so you might want to consider using LCDUI in your application and depending on what kind of user interface you need, you can either use high-level APIs or low-level APIs
    A detailed overview of those can be found here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...70E09010A.html