Discussion Board

Get Latitude and Longitude values using network based positioning

Hi nokia forum,
    I am mostly try to find the current position value (Latitude and Longitude values ) .
    But,Still now i don't get output.

I am set criteria values
    criteria.setCostAllowed(true);
    criteria.setPreferredPowerConsumption(Criteria.POWER_USAGE_LOW);

but , this criteria does not give the network based position.

how to get the criteria in network based location?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Get Latitude and Longitude values using network based positioning

Hi DileepKumar,

You can't set criteria in a network based location retrieval.

Are you using the code example and any of the devices that support network based location retrieval as described in the article below?

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...on_via_Cell_ID

Hi,
    I am already used to this code. but,it work only nokia s40 device.

Now, i want to find current location in Symbian device and s60.

you have any idea?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi DileepKumar,

I am afraid it is not possible to find your current position (Latitude and Longitude values) using the network-based method on Symbian Devices with Java.
    Last edited by skalogir; 2011-11-21 at 08:43.

hi skalogir,
    I am studied your article fully.
    But, now i am using Nokia n95(s60 3rd edition FP1).
    I want to find network based positioning using j2me standard library only.

It's possible? please help me..

hi skalogir,

Its very urgent ...
    Please help me..

Super Contributor

Please, DileepKumar, could you begin to accept that you already have been explained here several times (as replies to your repeated inquiries) all the ways that are possible, or not possible in J2ME? How many more times do you need to be told the same things, before you accept the answers?

For one last time, I'll try to summarize all the various answers you've already received:

1: With J2ME you can get the position in a supported fashion via JSR-179 APIs. You have been provided links to API documentation and wiki examples for this.

2: A network operator can also do and calculate a phone's position approximately based on information available on the network side, but there are no standardized APIs to get that information from the network operator, unless it works transparently via JSR-179. You can't control it. Either it works or doesn't work; you use JSR-179 and you either get a position or you don't. You have been provided wikipedia links explaining location based services and what kind of methods network operators have available for them (even if you don't have direct access to the same information from J2ME).

3: With an external Bluetooth GPS receiver you could also use JSR-82 APIs.

4: As of certain versions of Series 40 or S60/Symbian platforms you can retrieve the cell ID with J2ME, but you can only use it to approximate the location, if you know the physical coordinates of that cell, and there are no complete/accurate databases available for that. You have been provided the library links that document this Nokia-specific system property, and which Series 40 and S60/Symbian versions it requires (the N95 is not one of them, as it is too old).

5: If you don't have actual GPS, or database of maps of cellular network cells and/or nearby WLAN AP locations, or some network operator's private information (you'd need every operator in the world to provide you the data, if you want a global solution, and that's not likely to happen; it is not even very likely that you can get one single local operator to do it for you).

So, no matter how urgent or desperate you are, there are no magic APIs that will provide you what you want, if the above (JSR-79, JSR-82, cellid property) is not enough for your needs. If they are not enough, you need to accept that it can't be done any better.

My advice: As long as you keep using J2ME to develop your app(s), use JSR-179 APIs and in the case you don't get the location via JSR-179, make your app handle that (if nothing else, put up an error message to the user stating that the app is unable to obtain the location, or whichever way you think handling it is best). Then move on to other/new problems.

ok. thank you very much..

Today i am test nokia 5800 (s60 5th edition). its does not find location(network based)

I am set criteria values
    criteria.setCostAllowed(true);
    criteria.setPreferredPowerConsumption(Criteria.POWER_USAGE_LOW);

its correct ah?

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...on_via_Cell_ID

Its support only s40 devices.

Any solution for s60 devices...
    please send link for s60 device

Super Contributor

Please read Petrib's and skalogir's answers above. They contain all the answers you need. This will not work on Symbian.

In fact, you have yourself provided to the excellent wiki article (which skalogir also pointed out) which contains this paragraph.
    "This method is supported on Series 40 devices starting from Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40. Symbian devices do not support this method."

If you need to get something like this to work on Symbian devices, you might want to build a native application for those devices instead of using a Java MIDlet.

Hartti