Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nokia Lumia 800 battery life

Hello everyone,

Lumia 800's biggest issue is battery life, I am reading about a lot of users complaining about their devices dying in the afternoon after a full night recharge, and that with 3g on and everything on push.

I've also read that some of those users turned the push off, and experienced a much longer battery life (almst double). Now that is understandable but going on with their tests, came up that facebook notifications along with the chat is the biggest batteyr eater. Even by choosing "offline" in the chat options seems to lenghten the battery life.

Do any of you know what is going on about the huge drain that notifications seem to have in the Lumia?

Given the tech specs of the device, how much room is there for battery improvement through software updates?

Thanks and take care

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 battery life

Hi there, overrider

Thank you for bringing your concerns up here regarging battery consumption on Lumia 800.

I will need to verify some of these items with the appropriate persons, forwarding your notes on and polling for a response.

I will post here as soon as I get something back.

Best,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Thank you very much for your time,

I really hope Lumia 800 can get a better battery life, it's such a nice device and the OS looks and feels brilliant on it. It just needs the average guaranteed life to be enjoyed :-)

I'm looking forward to reading from you

Super Contributor

Hello,

No problem at all =)

Well i just need to connect with the right people who could provde some analysis on the battery life aspect, as I have not seen any specific details myself of daily proven usage with all equipped appliances switched on.

But sure will let you know when I know more.

Have a great day!

Best,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you search the web you will read a lot of users with LG E900, Samsung OMNIA 7 and other models to have decreased batery life after mango update (WP 7.5). In fact that seems to be the same case with iOS 5. Apple didnt managed to address that issue fully. If you ask me, its normal. If you notice the amount of sync processes running, and the peripherals collected at any given time, you quickly realize that the number of push notifications, sync processes, etc is much more intense than ever before.

Its normal for a user to have Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Live, one or 2 email accounts, exchange, not to mention apps like weather, calendar, Whatsapp, XBOX with game notifications, and such... . Even if they are only push, its still stuff that its active. Its usual to have Data connection on, Wifi detecting new networks, location services active (GPS and A-GPS), play music, watch a youtube movie, listen to the radio... make phone calls (remember those?), send SMS, MMS, use the phone camera, user many different apps, etc etc etc.

Add to that the big screen, a much more active usage of thye phone due to all the connections and social networking that you are now able to do, not to mention the fact that we are talking about new devices that people just love to use and show off, its easy to understand how low the batery performance may seem to be.

I'm not dismissing possible issues and all, but I think its important to provide details on the phone usage. If you do all of the above I just said, its a lot different than using the phone for basic stuff

Cheers

What you say is true, claiming poor batterylife without giving specifications about phone usage is rubbish, and it is very true that Mango is still not mature and optimized.

That said, the battery issues some people are experiencing with the Lumia are well beyond that: someone is experiencing a huge battery drain even with the phone in stand-by mode.

On another nokia forum the main problem seemed to be discovered in the chat: users claim that by disabling /limiting it the battery life increased sensibly. (talking about MSN one and facebook too)

Speaking about the phone usage: the users i talked with are both trying a heavier use (push email/social networks ON, wifi ON, blutooth ON, 3G ON and location ON, screen in automatic). This is deadly for the battery, nobody can beat 6 to 8h...the average is actually below that.

Than there is the softer use, wich usually translates to manual syncing mail/social network, location off, wifi off (both turned on if necessary) screen on medium. Now most can reach up to 13h of battery life, some more, some less depending on the % they set for the "battery save" mode to kick in.

Then there is the super soft use that some users do that keeps the screen at minimum, 3G and data plan OFF (turned on just if necessary), battery save mode ON and with this minimal use the battery life covers the whole day and then some. But hey, now the phone is not that smart...

I really hope Nokia and Windows can work out something for this mobile which is not only the top windows phone but also the chance for a great company to jump back on the bright side of the industry :-)
    We'll see in these days...with few more charging cylces things might get a little better, and then there will be Nokia battery update and windows update, plus we all hope for some more optimization to come.

Cheers

Nokia Developer Champion

From Nokia Support Discussions: Response to customers' questions about battery life

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Basically it makes sense and that was what I said before. People are expecting a smartphone to have the battery live of a normal phone. My average these days is 15-18 hours on a smartphone, with care using only data connection, location and wifi when needed. Not a Lumia device mind you.

Regular Contributor

From February Nokia have had Symbian and MeeGo as a "burning platforms". Now WP starts to "smoke". What a surprise! :-(

Looks like there will be 2 updates to address this:
    http://www.winrumors.com/nokia-promi...battery-issues

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Looks like there will be 2 updates to address this:
    http://www.winrumors.com/nokia-promi...battery-issues
    The best update would be from Mango to MeeGo. Only one is enough ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kompotFX View Post
    The best update would be from Mango to MeeGo. Only one is enough ;-)
    Sorry but i dont get it. Meego is a Nice system but I tried it a few times and I would not change from a windows phone to it. Both OS are amazing but WP is just better when it comes to integrated experience. Then again I would not mind having one

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Sorry but i dont get it. Meego is a Nice system but I tried it a few times and I would not change from a windows phone to it. Both OS are amazing but WP is just better when it comes to integrated experience. Then again I would not mind having one
    in scope of specific of my work I have both devices. Mango is nice, but I prefer Nokia N9. The gui navigation is so great and addictive, so I try to swipe on all others platforms :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kompotFX View Post
    in scope of specific of my work I have both devices. Mango is nice, but I prefer Nokia N9. The gui navigation is so great and addictive, so I try to swipe on all others platforms :-)
    I like the n9 user interface. There are some good ideas there. Still When it comes to home screen, I really like windows phone. I dont care about icon based UI anymore. Its so 90's It was time that someone figured out a diffrent way to create a home screen UI and MS nailed it for me.

Sorry for the off topic

Actually a mix of the two (mango n meego) would be awesome... I would love to see Swipe UI incorporated into Lumia ( and Lumia alone.. not HTC or Samsung etc)..
    Users can be given the option to choose the UI they like....