Discussion Board

How to get HSWidget to work with latest QtSdk?

Hey,

when you try to run https://projects.developer.nokia.com/hswidgetsinqt project it builds fine but it crashes when launched. Does it need some extra capabilities?

I tried to build it with latest Qt sdk and Qt 4.7.4 for Anna.
    If build with Qt 4.7.3 to S^1 it works just fine. What needs to be changed to get it work with Qt 4.7.4 S^3?

Super Contributor

Re: How to get HSWidget to work with latest QtSdk?

Note for Qt 4.6.3 and Qt 4.7.3 development
    Qt SDK 1.1.4 contains only the latest targets for developing applications for a particular Symbian platform. The targets for Qt 4.6.3 for Symbian and Qt 4.7.3 for Symbian^3 and Symbian Anna have been removed from Qt SDK 1.1.4. To develop for these targets, use Qt SDK 1.1.2. Once you have installed Qt SDK 1.1.2, to enable use of the earlier targets and App TRK, don’t run the SDK update as this will remove the features you need.

Please be aware that if you want to use Qt SDK 1.1.2 and the latest Qt SDK on the same computer, you should install them into separate user accounts.

regards,
    rahul

But I want to develop for Qt 4.7.4

Super Contributor

I don't understand where you are heading at... I'm asking what I should do so that the application doesn't crash on start and you ask me to read SDK info?
    I have already installed required SDK stuff.. I just want to know, how to get that application work, that link doesn't solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post

Super Contributor

Actually you have to use Qt 4.7.4 to build for anna and higher symbian version, and for S^1 you have to use old Qt version.
    It should work with Qt 4.7.4 and anna target. I was telling you to read note there.

Stack and Heap Size might crash app : http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qmake...-and-heap-size

regards,
    rahul

If you try to build and run the project, does it work for you?
    Weird if that simple app would exceed it's stack and heap size when build with Qt 4.7.4^Anne, but not with Qt 4.7.3^S1.
    What is the difference there? How to do something that the project doesn't crash.

Actually you have to use Qt 4.7.4 to build for anna and higher symbian version, and for S^1 you have to use old Qt version.
    It should work with Qt 4.7.4 and anna target. I was telling you to read note there.

Stack and Heap Size might crash app : http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qmake...-and-heap-size

regards,
    rahul

Super Contributor

Application directly get crash when user launch it every time ? or it crash when user change the orientation after launch ?

Application crashes directly right after application has launched. Every time.

Application directly get crash when user launch it every time ? or it crash when user change the orientation after launch ?

Super Contributor

(1) Have you downloaded the Qt SDK 1.1.4 with online installer ?? , then try to download offline version of Qt SDK 1.1.4 and do again.

(2) Many people have faced that widget related app get crashed, and don't know the reason. (Try to check for other application).

(3)
    There has been lot of effort made in Qt 4.7.4 to improve the memory management. Applications using Qt 4.7.4 libraries normally consume less RAM than using earlier Qt libraries. Symbian platform uses predefined sizes for stacks and heaps. However, application developers need to be very careful on memory usage. If an application exceeds stack or heap limits, it may crash or fail to complete its task. Crashes that seem to have no reason can often be traced back to insufficient stack and/or heap sizes. Application developers should use reasonable values for maximum heap size. Either too small or too big value could cause the application’s failure. Other than RAM, there is very limited video/graphic memory of 32 MB especially in Symbian^3 and Symbian Anna devices (the new devices that shipped with Symbian Belle have four times larger GPU memory of 128 MB). It’s important that applications using large graphics resources follow graphic memory handling guidelines.
    I just find this from here : Qt 4.7.4 Release Bundle for Symbian News

regards,
    rahul

1) I have the offline version.
    2) The original question was why this happens.

(1) Have you downloaded the Qt SDK 1.1.4 with online installer ?? , then try to download offline version of Qt SDK 1.1.4 and do again.

(2) Many people have faced that widget related app get crashed, and don't know the reason. (Try to check for other application).

(3)

I just find this from here : Qt 4.7.4 Release Bundle for Symbian News

regards,
    rahul

Super Contributor

You didn't read my quote message. in #10

Application get crash due to insufficient stack or heap sizes.

regards,
    rahul