Discussion Board

Exclamation Missing link to launch app manually in C2-00

Hi All

I have a peculier problem with C2-00 phone. Please read my story......

I have an app that wakes up on receiving SMS on port.

I had installed it in my C2-00, deleted, installed another version of same app and tried launching. Phone caught an error saying "Conflicting Applications" when i checked details, it showed the name of my app. This means my previous version was not un-installed during my deletion.

I went and deleted new installation and searched if there is any other copy of app. There was none as such.

To confirm, i sent one sms onto the port it was supposed to be awaiting and saw my app running!!

Now I am not able to find my app anywhere but it starts running every time I send a port message to the phone.

Please let me know if there is a way to make my app visible somewhere so that I can run it manually or un-install and install other version.

Thanks a lot for reading

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Missing link to launch app manually in C2-00

Hi maheshwarappa,

Have you used any of the examples in the wiki, or did you create your own application?
    I am asking because I would like to verify this on my end and if I had a code sample that would be easier.

What is the software version of your device?

Nokia Developer Moderator

if the problem is with 3rd party application, simply contact the original developer of the application, also as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Super Contributor

Have you rebooted the phone? If not, that would be my first try
    My guess is that it could be quite hard to get rid of the application except for doing factory reset for the phone or reinstalling the firmware.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    Have you rebooted the phone? If not, that would be my first try
    My guess is that it could be quite hard to get rid of the application except for doing factory reset for the phone or reinstalling the firmware.

Hartti
    Hi Hartti, Thanks for replying

Restart is done but app is not seen anywhere but it starts when I send port message to it so application is installed

Hi
    It is my own app

Quote Originally Posted by skalogir View Post
    Hi maheshwarappa,

Have you used any of the examples in the wiki, or did you create your own application?
    I am asking because I would like to verify this on my end and if I had a code sample that would be easier.

What is the software version of your device?
    Hi Skalogir

Thanks. This is what make me keep liking Nokia. I have always seen you guys aggressively responding to developers.

This app is developed by me. It listens on sms port 50001. Code is too big to share, let me know which portion would you like to view.

Software version is:
    C2-00
    V03.43
    RM-704
    (c)Nokia
    Variant: 00.00

Thanks again

Super Contributor

When you tried to remove your app, did you got the confirmation (if you remember it) then the app is removed. In order to receive and invoke the app on the incoming SMS on the specific port, you must have set the app in the background. Therefore you should check inside the application manager that either of the installed version of the app is still installed or not.

What exactly you are doing now and you did previously, just share that also.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Unfortunately in Series 40, the MIDlet database can get corrupted and such things happen. Unfortunately, these cases are so rare, I have not found a solution either! If a full factory rest does not work out, try to check with MobiMB and the system storage whether your MIDlet is still present in the internal file system. I doubt. Anyway, if you find a solution: Do not forget to tell the community.

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    When you tried to remove your app, did you got the confirmation (if you remember it) then the app is removed. In order to receive and invoke the app on the incoming SMS on the specific port, you must have set the app in the background. Therefore you should check inside the application manager that either of the installed version of the app is still installed or not.

What exactly you are doing now and you did previously, just share that also.
    Hi Raj

Don't remember if i got confirmation of app removal as success or failure. I just remember I got some pop-up which assumed successful removal notification.

App is not running in background. It is registered for SMS Push registry on port 50001 statically. It will get woken up when an sms on that port arrives.

Unfortunately, this phone doesn't have app-manager.

Initially I had installed version 1.0, it was working fine. ie., it was waking up on receiving message on port and I could launch by locating it in Games. That day I deleted this and installed version 1.2. When launched after installation, got an error message "Conflicting application" when i clicked "Show details", it showed my app name. By this I understood, my previous version was not de-registered from port hence I deleted the app again and went on searching for another instance. There is no another instance found. For the sake of verification, I sent an sms on port 50001 and found my app running and showing my message. If I close it, i don't find it anywhere in phone.

It has become a ghost!

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Unfortunately in Series 40, the MIDlet database can get corrupted and such things happen. Unfortunately, these cases are so rare, I have not found a solution either! If a full factory rest does not work out, try to check with MobiMB and the system storage whether your MIDlet is still present in the internal file system. I doubt. Anyway, if you find a solution: Do not forget to tell the community.
    Hi traud
    Thanks. will surely tell if i find a solution

Hi Maheshwarappa, I'm entering to this old entry (9 days old). Have you found out any solution? If not, please follow my way. I also came across with a similar issue, but was not able to launch the application again as you said like a ghost.

Anyways, please try to install the first version, v1.0 again (either the same application or you can just create a new app with the same MIDlet name & all other parameters as same and version as 1.0). And try the case, as send the sms to the specific port and if still launches the application (try to check whether the app now launched is the new one, not the older ghost one.)
    Then install the newer version of your app, which you tried previously. Also, keep in mind that when the overwrite option is shown, give it yes (grant to overwrite the application).

This could probably help you in having the new application in place of the older version.

Try this more and do let us know the response.

Regards.
    Vineeth K.