Discussion Board

Series 40 game using Analytics. Trying to get some feedback about my game.

Greetings everybody,

After a few months my game on the store, I haven't been making any headway in terms of sales. Though the downloads of the free demo is doing around 200~300 downloads per day, given that I have only published the game on 35 handsets, which is mostly targeted on the latest, including the Touch and Type series.

Which leaves me to my next step is getting feedback about my game. There are a few ways of getting such feedback,

1. Getting real people around my area to play the game in their hands and see their reactions.
    2. Reading and sifting through forums about people talking about my game.
    3. Integrate Analytics into my game to see how people are playing.

Number 1, I've been doing it for awhile already. Though using the same people to test is always a bad idea, since they get accustomed to everything eventually, which is not the goal.

Number 2 is just about impossible right now, because all my downloads originate from South East Asia, so I can't really read what's going on, or even where to begin looking for occurrences about my game. Most of them speak in another language.

Number 3 would require the user to connect to the network, in which the user would be prompted before connecting. The problem here lies giving an incentive to the user to connect. Most games that I see that requires a lot of network connectivity is either an online game where they would have to download content or ad driven games. Other than that, telling the user that they would be connected for the reason of improving the games performance would imply that I would be collecting private information about them, which isn't the case, but there isn't really a way to be transparent about that.

I am pretty much flying blind in terms of improving my game.

I get better results working with my audience on smart phones. Mostly because it auto-connects to the network and doesn't ask any questions.

I have been trying to dig up some posts on this, but I haven't found anything close to what I am looking for.

Any thoughts working around this?

Re: Series 40 game using Analytics. Trying to get some feedback about my game.

I'm making J2ME games too, just because I think S40 game is best fit with size of my content. I'm working alone actually and I want to finish a game within couple of weeks as I got a lot of game ideas and concepts for experiment. Most J2ME games these days are for poor people and they basically don't purchase anything and most of them don't play games seriously on their phones. So I think trying to get their feedbacks is not worth your effort.

Based on my experiences, J2ME app needs to be signed with some kind of certification to prevent its confirmation for network connectivity. And I think the current certification of ovi store which is signed for free by Nokia doesn't have that capability (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dongatory View Post
    I'm making J2ME games too, just because I think S40 game is best fit with size of my content. I'm working alone actually and I want to finish a game within couple of weeks as I got a lot of game ideas and concepts for experiment. Most J2ME games these days are for poor people and they basically don't purchase anything and most of them don't play games seriously on their phones. So I think trying to get their feedbacks is not worth your effort.

Based on my experiences, J2ME app needs to be signed with some kind of certification to prevent its confirmation for network connectivity. And I think the current certification of ovi store which is signed for free by Nokia doesn't have that capability (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    You are correct. We sign Java applications with a trusted third-party certificate which does not suppress network connectivity confirmation dialogs. Note: the Store QA does not fail apps that display such dialogs.

@foo_mark: If your application is performing poorly, this may have to do with low visibility in the Nokia Store. You may want to take a look at the merchandising document on ways to market your application: http://support.publish.ovi.com/wp-co...e_Guide-21.pdf.
    Andrew
    Follow @AndrewAtNokia on Twitter for news and updates about Nokia Publish!
    Andrew is now on Facebook to assist you with any publishing related inquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by dongatory View Post
    I agree that the people for S40 are all low income people, but I don't really see that as a good reason not to obtain their feedback.
    I think if you want to build a successful game, you need to obtain the feedback regardless if your target audience is poor or rich.

I have a friend who just entered his 3rd year in this business. He started making money out with one game, not two, not three, one.
    He's starting to make decent amount of money, enough that he can open an office and hire 2 people to work on his new title.
    His trick is all about listening to people, getting feedback, interpreting it and acting upon to increase his sales.
    He certainly didn't count on firing his game once its done and forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nokia View Post

@foo_mark: If your application is performing poorly, this may have to do with low visibility in the Nokia Store. You may want to take a look at the merchandising document on ways to market your application: http://support.publish.ovi.com/wp-co...e_Guide-21.pdf.
    My game didn't really suffer from low visibility when it started, it actually got featured for a week and a half on the Top Free list of the store.

The problem lies more from converting a free customer into a paying customer.
    If the game looks really bad, I certainly don't think people would have bothered downloading the demo in the first place.

The question lies in the trial or demo that is not convincing enough to purchase the full version.
    Right now, we need to know if they are even playing the game till the end.

@dongatory: What probably works well in South East Asia now is Free to Play, which Nokia is doing a tremendous effort to bring in-app purchase into their new S40 handsets.