Discussion Board

Post Task manager needed for s40

Hello...
    you all know that multitasking is not possible in s40 ...but v can enabled partial multitasking by modding the pp file and also by adding two lines to the manifest.mf file...
    i have successfully enabled partial multitasking this way...but what i need is an app launcher sort of thing to launch the minimized app....as it is hard to launch the app again by going to its location..
    i have tried to launch app using html code and also by using flash lite..but its not working..the only option left is java..
    i have read dat, app can be launched by using push registry.. since i dont know java...i cant understand a thing :-(
    so..plz give suggestions for creating an app launcher either by using java or any other possible ways..

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Task manager needed for s40

Hello Fullmetal alchemist,

as you have described, unfortunately it is not possible to enable multitasking on Series 40 devices similarly as it is possible on Symbian for example. On Series 40, each MIDlet can run on foreground (=visible to end-user) when active and when not active the application has been exited altogether. Only one MIDlet can run on foreground at a time.

Depending on your requirement, push registry could be of use but the active/not active rule (as described above) is still valid here. For studying more about push registry, you might want to have a look on this chapter on Java Developer's Library by Nokia Developer:

Java Developer's Library 3.11 > Developer's guides > Application framework > Push applications
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...2FB5A66E2.html

Furthermore, you might want to have a look on this regarding invoking applications:

Java Developer's Library 3.11 > Developer's guides > Invoking applications

http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...82176628C.html

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Thanx for the links!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal alchemist View Post
    what i need is an app launcher sort of thing to launch the minimized app.
    Place your app onto the initinal screen (Settings » My shortcuts) or use the ‘Go to’ menu and add your app there. Because you hacked your phone anyway, another way is to place your app into the main menu by adding
    Code:
    Nokia-MIDlet-Save-Location: Root
    to the MANIFEST.MF.

By the way, there is a task manager, however, only when memory gets low.

Hey..thanks!!!!!!!!!
    well...i can do that...but if i want many apps..the go to menu option list will become crowded.it would be better if i have separate way through which i can launch them..that is why am looking for it.
    well.i cant understand push registry.so i cant use it.what about the localapp scheme? i tried ,its not working.
    oh!!! the task manager shows up when the RAM memory gets low?

PushRegistry and its localapp URL sheme do not help, because you still need links to your apps. This solution would be the same as the one via the ‘Go To’ menu.

By the way, you can place the whole application list as one item on the right (or left) soft key. Alternatively, place the list into GoTo. You can even place that whole list of Java applications into the ‘home screen’, in its shortcut bar. You are able to rearrange the order of that bar, too. Then you change the display view (and order) of that list to show just small icons.

This way, I reach all my apps with two clicks. You can’t do better than that, can you?
    Last edited by traud; 2011-12-29 at 20:45.

link to my apps?like general link(C:/predefgallery/....) or specifying the midlet name and vendor?

The main prob is, in my Nokia 2690 if i select the application list to specify the shortcut for a particular application the screen just goes blank.i cant do anything but to restart the mob.so am not able to assign shortcut keys to a particular app.i reinstalled the OS many times but still am facing the problem.

I can just specify shortcut to 'Application' folder.but i cant have a shortcut to 'Application List' as a whole.if i click that it just shows the list of applications and i have to choose from them.

If i had Home screen option in my mobile I would not have posted this discussion :-( Mine is S40 5th edition so it does not have one.

if i click [one the application folder] it just shows the list of applications and i have to choose from them.
    This is the easiest option. You can place this on the right (or left) soft key as well. What else are you looking for?
    I cant have a shortcut to 'Application List' as a whole.
    I beg you pardon? What do you expect elsewise?
    If i had Home screen option in my mobile I would not have posted this discussion.
    In the 5th Edition this feature was named differently: Nokia 2690 » Settings » Display » Active standby » On and Persoanlise view » Change/Assign » Shortcut bar » Select » Options » Select shortcuts » Applications – don’t your Nokia offer this?

Anyway, placing the list of applications onto the right soft key is the fastest way you go in any case. You cannot do faster.

if i click [one the application folder] it just shows the list of applications and i have to choose from them
    what i meant is i cant have that 'application list' assigned as shortcut to the soft keys.
    settings->MY shortcuts->left selection key->Application list->application
    as u can see here that i can assign only one application to the soft keys and not the application list.But thats not the prob here..take a look at these pics

i cant add that 'application list' to my go to menu or to the soft keys.as you can see there is no 'mark' option for it.only 'select' is there.

Even if i plan on adding shortcut to each and every application separately am unable to.The screen just goes blank if i select the 'application folder' option(look at the second pic)

No,active standby option is not there in Nokia 2690.I checked thoroughly and also saw the user guide.

Ya.softkey is the quickest way to access application.
    Last edited by Fullmetal alchemist; 2011-12-31 at 12:42.

i cant add that 'application list' to my go to menu or to the soft keys
    Yes, this is a folder. If you desire the whole folder, you have to mark ‘Applications’ just one option below.
    The screen just goes blank if i select the 'application folder' option(look at the second pic)
    Yes, you freaked your Nokia. You have to do a full RESET via Nokia (Consumer) Care tools. Normally, this menu lists all Java MIDlets seperately. However, sometimes this list view is broken. Happened here once, too. Do not ask me why that has happened.
    No,active standby option is not there in Nokia 2690.
    OK. Some models do not offer it. without owning that particualr model, it is hard to tell if yes or no.

Ya! That is 'Application' folder.It has Games and Collections folder within it. The Games folder has the application which is downloaded or installed via Nokia suite.But what if i have to access a midlet from Gallery or from memory card.It is not possible then.

I did full reset twice via Nokia customer care only.The option works fine for a day or two,but the lists get broken automatically..This problem was there even when i bought the mobile.At that time i dint even hack my mob.i dont even know how to!

I checked Nokia 6085(s40 3rd edition).It has that option u mentioned.But am sure 5th edition does nt have it coz i checkd my mob as well as my brother's(Nokia 2600 classic)
    Last edited by Fullmetal alchemist; 2012-01-01 at 03:11.

The Games folder has the application which is downloaded or installed via Nokia suite.
    You can move them via the Options.
    what if i have to access a midlet from Gallery or from memory card.
    Those from the memory card are shown within the memory card folder. if you do not see them, move them once.
    the lists get broken automatically
    On many mobiles, I use it for several years now, and it did not break, yet. Only one device did break after several months.
    This problem was there even when i bought the mobile.At that time i dint even hack my mob.i dont even know how to!
    Nobody said this is related to hacking. My broken device was not hacked either. I have no idea why it breaks.
    5th edition does nt have it
    The edition does not matter. Some models do not ship with a homescreen. I have a 5th Edition here and it does. Nevertheless, this feature does not help you either because it takes more clicks to access the list of applications.

My phone internal memory is 15 mb only,so i cant transfer all the applications to the gallery.That is the prob
    The edition does not matter. Some models do not ship with a homescreen. I have a 5th Edition here and it does
    Oh! I dint know that.But why? Why is it so? It should be common to all the devices nah

On many mobiles, I use it for several years now, and it did not break, yet. Only one device did break after several months.
    Ya!I agree.I checked other 2690 mobiles.The application list option works fine.I donno why its happening with mine only! :-(

One more doubt.You mentioned in your comment that ,to use localapp scheme we should know the location of the midlet.From Nokia library I learnt that the url to be used in the scheme is a combination of midlet name and midlet vendor.Were you referring to that only?