Discussion Board

How to avoid spontaneous purchases?

Hi,

For last week I'm experiencing 1-star reviews for my applications. It's hard to say if it is deliberate downgrade by competitors or some very lazy customers first buy - then complain. The application in question is designed for photo editing and it is non-free. In order to avoid black-box like content I posted a list of filters on the support web-site, but nevertheless last two users gave 1-start rating to application complaining about the list of filters (in parallel promoting the other similar app). Obviously I'm not interested in these lazy and spontaneous customers and prefer to develop for thinking people. Does price increase will minimize those spontaneous purchases? Anyone has other suggestions how to minimize this 1-start rating as they kill all wishes to continue to develop anything at all. Thank you

P.S. of course it could be that customer really didn't like app, but previous reviews were positive and with concrete suggestions how to improve the app. Also other sites gave rather positive review with few suggestions for improvements.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: How to avoid spontaneous purchases?

Quote Originally Posted by pippo2010 View Post
    Hi,

For last week I'm experiencing 1-star reviews for my applications. It's hard to say if it is deliberate downgrade by competitors or some very lazy customers first buy - then complain. The application in question is designed for photo editing and it is non-free. In order to avoid black-box like content I posted a list of filters on the support web-site, but nevertheless last two users gave 1-start rating to application complaining about the list of filters (in parallel promoting the other similar app). Obviously I'm not interested in these lazy and spontaneous customers and prefer to develop for thinking people. Does price increase will minimize those spontaneous purchases? Anyone has other suggestions how to minimize this 1-start rating as they kill all wishes to continue to develop anything at all. Thank you

P.S. of course it could be that customer really didn't like app, but previous reviews were positive and with concrete suggestions how to improve the app. Also other sites gave rather positive review with few suggestions for improvements.
    Unfortunately users come in all shapes and sizes and it is difficult to target a specific audience using the price point. You could clarify in the description that this application cannot be used for certain types of content.

I'm unsure as what you mean by "Black Box like content"... at least used in this context.
    Andrew
    Follow @AndrewAtNokia on Twitter for news and updates about Nokia Publish!
    Andrew is now on Facebook to assist you with any publishing related inquiries.

Hi Andrew,

The description clearly stated that application disigned for image effects and not color filters. But it doesn't help. The last user complained that application doesn't have color filter. I personally out of ideas how else I can clarify what application is and what it is not. May be suggest users to pass IQ test before purchase (something tells me that type of app description won't pass QA).

By black-box like content or app I meant situation when there is just paid version of app and support web-page do not give much info about app. So user basically have to buy app to discover what it can do and how it work

is it possible that user asks money back if he doesn't like app but his comment remains published? is it possible to do it by developer's request, cancel purchase and remove comment? Thanks
    http://inmobisoft.com

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by pippo2010 View Post
    Hi Andrew,

The description clearly stated that application disigned for image effects and not color filters. But it doesn't help. The last user complained that application doesn't have color filter. I personally out of ideas how else I can clarify what application is and what it is not. May be suggest users to pass IQ test before purchase (something tells me that type of app description won't pass QA).

By black-box like content or app I meant situation when there is just paid version of app and support web-page do not give much info about app. So user basically have to buy app to discover what it can do and how it work

is it possible that user asks money back if he doesn't like app but his comment remains published? is it possible to do it by developer's request, cancel purchase and remove comment? Thanks
    Sadly no. We are unable to remove reviews that do not contain spam or irrelevant content and as long as the reviews pertain your application (despite its inaccuracy), we are obliged to adhere to the Nokia user agreement. You could click on the "Report abuse" button, but it is up to the Moderation team's discretion if they choose to take it down.
    Andrew

How do I know if Moderation team even read my mail? I tried several times but never received any comments/replies/answers from them. May be all those e-mails go to their spam folder immediately...

> ... we are obliged to adhere to the Nokia user agreement ...

Do you think in some future Nokia will balance care between developers and customers? Currently OVI store is purely customer centered, customers have all rights while developers have none
    http://inmobisoft.com

I also got some complains and bad ratings of users who clearly did not read the description of the app.
    One even asked where to get support for the app....

It really would be much better if a developer could reply to the comments.
    AFAIK a user even can only write a comment once.
    And even more frustrating, as a developer I can not write a comment at all since my log in is not accepted.
    I had to create an OVI store account just so I can download and test my own apps from the OVI store.

Nokia Developer Expert

Are you distributing this application globally? If that's the case, are there translations provided for the display name or description?

Non-English speaking users may have problems understanding the description; you'd basically want to make your application as fool-proof as possible.
    Andrew