×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12

    Question Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    Hi,
    I would like to be made aware what the justification is to charge developers $99.99 a year for launchpad.
    I understand it is free only for the first year.

    It should be FREE! If you want identity verification, there are other ways.

    This is a copy of Apple's business model.
    We are talking about Nokia and Microsoft here!!!!!

    I feel it is like biting the hand that feeds you.

    Ovi store was $1.00 via credit card for Developers and just for identify verifcation.
    (Which still means some developers can't access)

    The Phone is just a phone. Applications make the mobile phones more useful, fun etc.,

    I know two young fellows. 16 & 17 years old "Super Geeks" their parents are not internet savy.
    There is no way their parents are going to allow them to use their credit on the internet.
    So they miss out? We miss out on their genius!

    What about all the developers making free apps?
    What about all the developers who don't have a credit card for what ever reason.
    If you are a developer you know that no system is secure!
    How many of us are working for companies full time creating apps?
    How many are creating apps just because they are wonderful Nerds and do it just because
    of the challenge, the brain athletics??

    If we decide to sell our Apps and make some money well good on us!
    You glean a commission!

    Does the end user really want the free torch app to connect to the internet everytime
    they want to use it, just to display advertising, using their expensive mobile data useage to
    compensate $99.00 developers fee.
    No !!! They will just delete it.


    As a developers we have to provide a support website for every app.
    This means
    Buying a domain name, creating a website, making sure it is up to date.


    Maybe I've missed something!
    Please explain.

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    28,572

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    I do not know, are they really charged starting from the second year?
    Anyway, do not confuse being a Launchpad member with developing+publishing applications. One can develop and publish applications without being a Launchpad member.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    Yes Microsoft app Hub are going to charge from second year. I have received an email, not only that you are charged $99.00 to sign up
    and then that is refunded within 2 months.

    So being a Developer and submitting apps to Ovi/Nokia Store will remain Free?

    It still goes to the question of another verification method. As it leave a lot of young developers out in the cold as they are too young for credit cards.
    I work with a lot of young people, and it sad that their talents are left high and dry due to unattainable resources.

    There is phone verification, and snail mail verification. Google does that for business listings Maps. (You get sent a letter in the mail with a pin code).


    Why is verfication required anyway?

    If you come up with a cool app free or paid. Most developers are going to want the bragging rights (even if it is quietly).... and if you want to get paid you have to give real details.
    The Apps themselves have to go through a review process.

    I want to see Nokia's Developmental areas Stand out like their phones do, be forward thinking, keep opportunities open for all developers regardless of age or financial status.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    506

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    Quote Originally Posted by FOXtion View Post
    Yes Microsoft app Hub are going to charge from second year. I
    what is common between ms hub and nokia launchpad?
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

  5. #5
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    9,545

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    Quote Originally Posted by vladest View Post
    what is common between ms hub and nokia launchpad?
    Nothing, really. They're two different and independent developer service offerings by two different companies.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    506

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Nothing, really. They're two different and independent developer service offerings by two different companies.
    I know that, but topicstarter mixed all the things, it seems
    Symbian & Qt developer. http://vladest.org

  7. #7
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    28,572

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    Quote Originally Posted by FOXtion View Post
    Yes Microsoft app Hub are going to charge from second year. I have received an email, not only that you are charged $99.00 to sign up
    and then that is refunded within 2 months.
    Well, you have seen the comments. It might not be the site. If you mean that you were taking some AppHub registration offering for Launchpad members, please clarify. Strictly said I do not know the details of such offer, but some may do.
    So being a Developer and submitting apps to Ovi/Nokia Store will remain Free?
    Yes.
    It still goes to the question of another verification method. As it leave a lot of young developers out in the cold as they are too young for credit cards.
    I work with a lot of young people, and it sad that their talents are left high and dry due to unattainable resources.
    Yes, that can be a problem to some. You may want to post some feedback on it in the Store-related boards (click back to "root", http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/, and it is the third big category), there it may get better visibility for Store people.
    Why is verfication required anyway?
    It has practical uses when any kind of malicious activities happen, and it may be enforced by some laws too.
    If you come up with a cool app free or paid. Most developers are going to want the bragging rights (even if it is quietly).... and if you want to get paid you have to give real details.
    The Apps themselves have to go through a review process.
    I think you do not count with people from the "dark side".

  8. #8
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    919

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    Regarding young developers, as a side note: I believe that Students can get a free App Hub registration with DreamSpark program. DreamSpark grants a lot of free software for students, including dev tools and other. Take a look here for more info: https://www.dreamspark.com/

  9. #9
    (Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,664

    Re: Please explain justification for charging Developers on Launchpad

    You are confusing a Developer monetization program which is free and designed to help developers make money by Nokia with Microsoft's application distribution.
    Secondly in defense of the AppHub you get a lot more than $99 value when you join. Nokia and Microsoft do not make money on these types of programs and as mentioned they have exemptions for students and freeware developers.

    I've been a developer for many years and even when you add the cost of a computer and the software as a hobby, programming is a darn cheap hobby. Cheaper than hunting and fishing and almost any sports. So I ask you to keep the cost of registration in perspective.

    Quote Originally Posted by FOXtion View Post
    Hi,
    I would like to be made aware what the justification is to charge developers $99.99 a year for launchpad.
    I understand it is free only for the first year.

    It should be FREE! If you want identity verification, there are other ways.

    This is a copy of Apple's business model.
    We are talking about Nokia and Microsoft here!!!!!

    I feel it is like biting the hand that feeds you.

    Ovi store was $1.00 via credit card for Developers and just for identify verifcation.
    (Which still means some developers can't access)

    The Phone is just a phone. Applications make the mobile phones more useful, fun etc.,

    I know two young fellows. 16 & 17 years old "Super Geeks" their parents are not internet savy.
    There is no way their parents are going to allow them to use their credit on the internet.
    So they miss out? We miss out on their genius!

    What about all the developers making free apps?
    What about all the developers who don't have a credit card for what ever reason.
    If you are a developer you know that no system is secure!
    How many of us are working for companies full time creating apps?
    How many are creating apps just because they are wonderful Nerds and do it just because
    of the challenge, the brain athletics??

    If we decide to sell our Apps and make some money well good on us!
    You glean a commission!

    Does the end user really want the free torch app to connect to the internet everytime
    they want to use it, just to display advertising, using their expensive mobile data useage to
    compensate $99.00 developers fee.
    No !!! They will just delete it.


    As a developers we have to provide a support website for every app.
    This means
    Buying a domain name, creating a website, making sure it is up to date.


    Maybe I've missed something!
    Please explain.

Similar Threads

  1. LaunchPad approval - what is the timeline?
    By rickdancer in forum Feedback - Nokia Developer Services & Infrastructure
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2011-04-12, 15:22
  2. Launchpad Application
    By colm.smyth in forum General Development Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2011-02-22, 13:58
  3. When will PCS API 3.5 be made available on LaunchPad?
    By jae_russell in forum PC Suite API and PC Connectivity SDK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-07-08, 23:02
  4. FN launchpad / dwl carbide
    By Jeepy in forum Feedback - Nokia Developer Services & Infrastructure
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2008-11-19, 08:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •