Discussion Board

Question Lock S40 phone if Sim is changed

Hi all,
    I have a rather urgent situation where I have to restrict some nokia phones to specific sim cards. One phone, one sim. It is not ensure that users use the phone for its exact purpose and nothing else.The phones are all Nokia 2700 for now but even if new ones are added, they will still be S40 phones. The phone is to not work if the sim is changed even if it is from the same network or otherwise.

1. Is there a way to do this in java?
    2. If not, can I be directed to where I can get the resources to enable this feature or even some possible work around?

I just can't seem to find any resource on how this can be done. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

regards,
    Richard

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Lock S40 phone if Sim is changed

You can't do something like that with JME.

What you can do is to change the phone's lock/security code, and require it to be entered if a SIM card is changed. All built-in security features of the phone and presumably even documented in the phone's User Guide.

If you need more than that, switch to Serie 40 to using Symbian/S60 based phones and write your control code using Symbian C++ (note though, that even in that case, the user can circumvent things by just uninstalling your app, or reflashing the phone firmware, if your app has somehow been tweaked to prevent uninstallation).

For more control, you have to find a suitable Device Management solution where you restrict things further. Nokia used to have DM tools where you could centrally assign device policies and restrict, e.g., app installations/uninstallations.

That's about it, as far as options for Nokia goes. Main thing is, there's very little you can do using JME.

Hi Petrib,
    Thanks for the response.
    For the S60, is it possible to have an app which autostarts and does that check?
    Also, what is the closest S60 phone which can be used as an alternative to the Nokia 2700?

regards,
    Richard

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ritcoder View Post
    For the S60, is it possible to have an app which autostarts and does that check?
    Yes. Bypassing such an app by reformatting/reflashing the device is still possible, and there's nothing you can do to prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by ritcoder View Post
    Also, what is the closest S60 phone which can be used as an alternative to the Nokia 2700?
    Perhaps https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...ons/C5-00_5MP/

Hi Petrib,
    Thanks for the response. I was hoping it would be possible with S40 but that is ok.

regards,
    Richard