Discussion Board

NFC seems to be a hot topic right now. In what ways is it going to be utilized?

I know we've heard the use of NFC for digital wallets, but what other ways will you think it will be used? I just read this article and it named dropped Nokia (http://www.patexia.com/feed/1760), so I'm just wondering how everyone is envisioning the direction of this technology.

Super Contributor

Re: NFC seems to be a hot topic right now. In what ways is it going to be utilized?

Hi,
    wallt is not only way to use NFC technology today, already many companies are using for example check in, ticketing, easy pairing/set up etc. I am sure many people will invent new ways to use this technology or modify the existing one with new ways. Just need to wait and see.

Re: NFC seems to be a hot topic right now. In what ways is it going to be utilized?

I know in Australia, many of the financial institutions (banks) are beginning to use NFC to replace tap and go type cards. eg they can make a purchase at a shop with their mobile phone just by placing the phone near a special reader attached to the eftpos terminal. Its a pity that Nokia have decided not to enable this option as yet. 2 of our major banks in australia are now pushing custromers to use this technology thru apple iphones 4 and 4s phone. Whilst the phone doesnt even have a NFC chip builtin, they are selling their customers a special case that utilises the data port on the bottom of an iphone. the case has the nfc chip embedded in it. Nokia already has approx 9 phones with NFC built in but none capable of a financial payment as yet.

I think it is imperative that nokia switches on this facility in their NFC based phones, to give themselves a chance of getting into this market. The 2 banks concerned are the biggest we have in australia, with something like 50M customers between them. Currentrly these custoemr to use this technology are buying iphones.