Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello World of S60 GUI APP on Belle 0.6 SDK

In the Belle release note says, ABLD tool (SBSv1) has been deprecated,
    So i choose SBSv2 when creating Hello world project in Carbide 3.2,
    but i got "The Symbian Build System (sbs) cannot be found on the PATH. Carbide needs a valid SBS installation on the PATH to use the SBSv2 builder."

If i choose SBSv1 when building i got:
    " Can't locate E32env.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools\ c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/site/lib .) at C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools/bldmake.pl line 37.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools/bldmake.pl line 37."
    Last edited by rocjohn; 2011-12-15 at 09:46.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Hello World of S60 GUI APP on Belle 0.6 SDK

The SDK-s may have problems with setting their EPOCROOT. While generally it is a bad idea to have such environment variable, this beta SDK requires it. Actually it is mentioned in the release notes as a known issue (C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\releasenotes.txt). You may need some additional magic, check C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\gcce_readme.txt too.

Hi,

I am one of the sbs developers. IDEs like Carbide or Qt Creator want to know where sbs is and they may be trying to find it on the PATH or via the SBS_HOME variable. Check if sbs is in your path by typing "sbs --version" - the latest is 2.17.4 but you probably have something like 2.16.4' I would guess. If you don't get anything then it is probably a good idea to put it in the path - certainly doesn't do any harm.

A long way round to find this would be to search fot "sbs.bat" in the SDK (I am afraid I don't have a copy of the SDK at the moment myself as we don't use it internally so I can't tell you where to look). The directory it's in can be put in your path or you can try setting SBS_HOME to the directory above the one which sbs.bat is in. e.g. sbs.bat might be in c:\sdk\sbs\bin\sbs.bat so try setting SBS_HOME to "c:\sdk\sbs".

In the end EPOCROOT must get set in the environment somehow - one way or another either by you or by carbide or qt creator - sbs needs to know what it is and it finds out by reading the environment. I believe Carbide tries to use devices.xml to the the correct epocroot in the environment before it runs sbs but I never use Carbide so I'd have to check that. QtCreator probably sets it based on what platform you aim to build for (^1 or ^3 etc).

Regards,

Tim

Only found the "\epoc32\tools\sbs\bin" in the PATH.
    It seems the Carbide can't find EPOCROOT.

The EPOCROOT should be assigned dynamic by Carbide, where can find the scripts ?

Environment variables can be configured near to the SIS Builder, on the "Paths and symbols" tab perhaps (I do not have Carbide.c++ running now).

In Carbide 3.2, i got:
    Raptor/SBSv2 minimum version supported in Carbide.c++ is 2.15.0. Your sbs version is 0.0.0. Please update your sbs installation and 'Rescan' from the Build Configuration Filtering preference page.
    www.rocjohn.com

hi, i am having a similiar type of problem. Just installed Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6.

I have set EPOCROOT value \S60\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\, which is SDK installation path.

Also checked sbs_home value which is set to \epoc32\tools\sbs.
    And in PATH variable %sbs_home%\bin is present. But typing "sbs --version" in command prompt, gives me "sbs is not recognized".

When I tried to make a sample GUI application with carbide v2.7, it gives me error "The Symbian Build System(sbs) can not found on the PATH".

How to solve this issue in Carbide v2.7? thanks

Basic idea: does everything reside on a single drive, preferably c: ?
    The 'sbs is not recognized' thing, is it an SBS message, or the cmd.exe message, the "'asdfasdf' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."?

thank you wizard_hu_ for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Basic idea: does everything reside on a single drive, preferably c: ?
    yes everything resides on a single drive.

The 'sbs is not recognized' thing, is it an SBS message, or the cmd.exe message, the "'asdfasdf' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."?
    this message is from cmd.exe. just to know whether sbs path is set.
    Last edited by slinx; 2012-01-30 at 13:43.

Re-reading the message brings an idea: sbs_home, is it really relative to EPOCROOT?
    I just checked releasenotes.txt
    Known Problems and Limitations in this SDK Release:

- If Perl is installed through SDK installation, environment variable sbs_home is not set correctly.
    Please manually modify the "sbs_home" to "<Default SDK>\epoc32\tools\sbs".
    So, it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Re-reading the message brings an idea: sbs_home, is it really relative to EPOCROOT?
    I just checked releasenotes.txtSo, it is not.
    yes, you are right :). Settings "sbs_home" to "<Default SDK>\epoc32\tools\sbs", carbide stops complaining sbs not found in the PATH. Thanks.

Hi, i downloaded Symbian Belle SDK 1.0, and to create a HelloWorld in Carbide C++ 3.2, in the New Symbian C++ Project wizard dialog, if i choose the builder with SBSv2, i got "The Symbian Build System (sbs) cannot be found on the PATH. Carbide needs a valid SBS installation on the PATH to use the SBSv2 builder." Is there some thing wrong?
    Thanks.
    www.rocjohn.com

Quote Originally Posted by rocjohn View Post
    Hi, i downloaded Symbian Belle SDK 1.0, and to create a HelloWorld in Carbide C++ 3.2, in the New Symbian C++ Project wizard dialog, if i choose the builder with SBSv2, i got "The Symbian Build System (sbs) cannot be found on the PATH. Carbide needs a valid SBS installation on the PATH to use the SBSv2 builder." Is there some thing wrong?
    Thanks.
    Check setting windows environment variable of "sbs" to a valid value. For my case, it was "\S60\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools\sbs" and my carbide version was 2.7.

Edit: Symbian Belle SDK was 0.6 Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by rocjohn View Post
    In the Belle release note says, ABLD tool (SBSv1) has been deprecated,
    So i choose SBSv2 when creating Hello world project in Carbide 3.2,
    but i got "The Symbian Build System (sbs) cannot be found on the PATH. Carbide needs a valid SBS installation on the PATH to use the SBSv2 builder."

If i choose SBSv1 when building i got:
    " Can't locate E32env.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools\ c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/site/lib .) at C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools/bldmake.pl line 37.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools/bldmake.pl line 37."

Hello rocjohn,

I have the same problem, how did u solve the problem, would u plz let me know. thanks.

I created a GUI project in Carbide C++, i chose sbsv2, when i tried to build the project it gave the error:

Can't locate E32env.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\tools\ F:/Perl/lib F:/Perl/site/lib .) at C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\tools/bldmake.pl line 37.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\tools/bldmake.pl line 37.

could anyone tell me how i can solve the problem. And what this error means. thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast