Discussion Board

Question Waiver questions

Hi all,

I am currently preparing my application for submitting for signing by the test house, i.e. Certified Signed, but I have some questions in relation with the test cases, waivers, etc. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

1. We are developing a PoC/PTT client, but I assume that we have to pass the additional VoIP test cases as well? Please confirm.
    2. Sometimes our mobile application is delivered together with a desktop application, that is able to show the physical location of the ones using the mobile application. This is done by sending a position request to the mobile application, which it replies to without the users consent. When looking at Check 4 in the Test Criteria, should we then apply for a waiver since we don't ask for the users consent for this? Furthermore, our application also uses a data connection for which we don't ask for the users consent either.
    3. We might want to translate the name of our application to different languages, i.e. the name that is displayed in the menu and as application title, but will this require that we have the application signed once for each language?
    4. Our application can currently not handle dynamic screen orientation changes, i.e. if the UI after program start changes from portrait to landscape orientation, as none of the phone models, that our customers are using, can do that. Our application is targeting 3rd Edition FP2 devices, and I think that some of the devices in the Symbian Signed device table support dynamic screen orientation changes, e.g. N96, but as we don't intend to support that currently, should we then apply for a waiver?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
    Bo

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Waiver questions

1. Yes
    2. The Check 4 is very difficult. It is difficult to write and then interpret. It is all about users expectations. If the location sharing is a feature user expects and there is for example a setting of sharing on / off a waiver is not needed. I would believe that user expects the application to make a data connection.
    3. I would assume you can make localization so that it can be handled from one SIS file. At least it is relatively simple to create a PKG script which will make the developer to select the language of the application in the installation. Then it would not be too big of a work to get the right stuff in. Please do not use "IF EXISTS" language setting in the PKG scripts, they have caused some problems in the past. As for submitting the application, I recommend using the English name and stating in the "additional" information, that the application name will change between languages.
    4. I recommend a waiver.

Re: Waiver questions

Hi!

Thanks for the replies! I will start writing the waivers

Cheers,
    Bo