Discussion Board

Virtual Currency Solution for J2ME?

I was wondering if anybody knows of any turn key solution for virtual currency on J2ME.

I am looking for something with wrapper client API written in J2ME and a backend server solution of which I do not have to deal with security issues.

Thanks,
    Mark

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Virtual Currency Solution for J2ME?

If understand correctly, you are interested in an API that you can use in order to receive payments initiated from within your application. You might want to consider In-App Purchase API, for that purpose. Signing can be done free of charge by Nokia Ovi Store and the API hides the underlying communication. It also supports paying by charging the user's bill. Your application needs though to pass Nokia's QA process. More information here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/t...61%70%69%22%20

Note, that it is only supported on some of the latest Series 40 phones.

Nope, what you are referring to is one of the many methods for a user to earn or purchase credit or virtual currency within the application.

What I am talking about is a system that would be able to handle in-store credit.

Here is a scenario where I want to have everybody who has downloaded my game, to receive 20 credit tokens as a complimentary gift when they install and run my game for the first time.

1. The user sees a application he/she likes, downloads it.

2. User opens the application with nokia account signed in, receives a complimentary 20 credits as a new customer.
    The unique identifier of the user and his credits goes into a database, so whenever he or she wants to remove the application and put it back, they can retrieve the last status of when the application was used with all the credits still remaining in their account balance.

3. The software vendor decides to post an update to the application. The user then is asked to re-install the game, he or she decides to do it. The application gets removed and the RMS database gets wiped clean. The new application starts installing.

4. The user starts the newly updated application (w/ their OVI account signed in). The application goes to the software vendors database to retrieve the past information and restores the credits that was in his or her balance.

Nokia's In-App purchase system wouldn't be able to handle this kind of stuff, because these are considered one time consumable goods that needs to be tracked in a separate database.

If there's any need of clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Mark,

With In-App API, there is support for implementing a back end server. In that way you can keep track of the various transactions (each has a unique transaction id). If the purchase has already been made in the past, Nokia store can deliver the purchased item, without additional charge. More information about this here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/t...9EC5989D0.html
    Last edited by skalogir; 2011-12-21 at 18:54.

Hi skalogir,

What I meant is that, is there a back-end already implemented by someone else that I can use?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

What I want, is to be able to have perishable virtual goods, where once you use it is gone, though, if have not used it, but have deleted the game from your phone (such as an update), that those goods can be recovered if it hasn't been consumed.

Nokia Developer Expert

Your scenario requires a back end server. The process of reusing an already purchased item is called restoration and even though from the application's point of view, it is possible to check whether the number of allowed restorations per item (or per item and device) has been exceeded (in your case 0 restoration are allowed, i.e. the user can consume virtual goods once), it is not possible to set the restoration limit on Ovi Store. You need your own server implementation for that.

You can see a sample back end server restoration flow here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...9D9BCB462.html
    Last edited by skalogir; 2011-12-21 at 21:31.

Okay, but how do you flag an in-app purchase to be restorable or not in the publisher's dashboard when you edit the metadata for an in-app purchase item?

I don't really see a check box of any sort to do that.

Nokia Developer Expert

I am afraid you can't flag an item as restorable from the Publisher's web site. The In-App Purchase API can be used without a back end server on the very basic scenario, where the application contacts Ovi Store, checks if the item has already been purchased and if so, it restores it, so the user does not have to pay again. Any logic beyond this basic scenario (e.g. a restoration limit is needed, or when the user buys two items, the third comes for free, etc) requires keeping track of the user's purchases with the help of the back end server.

In other words, the back end server acts as a custom implementation design, specifically built for the needs of the developer, as any complex purchase logic cannot be implemented within the Publisher's web site.

What you could do without a back end server, is to check the list of restorable items (i.e. the items that have already been used) and you could exclude those items from any future usage from within the application, though that would require that using the item happens instantly when the user purchases the item. If your application logic is such that the user purchases now the item, but he/she can use it later in the application, you would still need a back end server, to keep track of when that happens.
    Last edited by skalogir; 2011-12-28 at 07:01.