Discussion Board

Exclamation Popup message from background app (like whatsapp) on Symbian Anna - Soft notification

Hi all!

I have a problem doing this.

I want to launch from my background app a popup or dialog window when X event launches.

I've searched around the web, but I didn't find nothing about this. I make test and I get a popup from my background app with QMessageBox with WindowType Qt::Popup, but it only appears like a transparent window covering all window, and go to my App (fortunately).

I don't want to use OVI Notifications API because it simply doesn't compile I have problems trying to use it (some other post and mails can be read).

If it would be possible to add a notification like a general popup or something similar, I would very granted. I know it is possible because is C++, but Symbian OS working is confusing sometimes.

I use Qt Quick, but, like this is very poor of symbian native functions, I think this would be insufficient.

I work with my E7-00 for tests.

If you need to know how I sent my app to background, read this post: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...tsApp-with-QML

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Chechesa; 2011-12-22 at 22:49.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Popup message from background app (like whatsapp) on Symbian Anna

here's one nice article that might help on finding the note: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...ion-notes.html

Thanks symbianyucca

Now I know that I want is named "Soft notification", but It seems doesn't a counterpart in Qt Components, and article doesn't contain extra information about Soft notifications nor with Qt (C++).

I hope somebody could help me to find documentation about this new things, because I've tried InfoBanner like article says but It doesn't show when app runs in background

Thanks for your help!

Nokia Developer Moderator

AS yo have seen the note in Symbian, could indeed be that it is Symbian API that you would need, and it if you don't want to use Symbian API, then you would need to do the note yourself, basically just trying to copy the look & feel in your own app.

I'm also interested about this, is the soft notification documented somewhere?