Discussion Board

app.sis vs. app_installer.sys

[Title should read "app.sis vs. app_installer.sis".]

Hi, I'm a bit confused about which SIS files to submit for publishing to the Nokia Store. I'm targeting my app to three platforms: S60 5th Ed., Symbian(^3) Anna, and Symbian Belle. I've built with Qt 4.7.3 as this is compatible with those three platforms (more or less--and the VKP 4.7.4 seems to have a cursor positioning bug). This has generated several questions:

0. Should both the app.sis and app_installer.sys (both unsigned) be submitted for each platform or just one for each?
    1. There are separate Qt 4.7.3 build target libraries for S60 5th Ed., Anna, and Belle. Should I just build for the lowest platform and expect the app to run on the newer ones? Or should I build for each platform and submit three content files? (The app does not use newer features introduced with Anna.)
    2. In my testing, I found that the S60 5th Ed. platform devices require the app_installer.sys but the Anna and Belle could install with app.sis (the later come with Qt installed). So, for S60 5th should I add a content file entry with app_installer.sys and and for Anna and Belle the app.sys file?

Thanks,

Phil

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: app.sis vs. app_installer.sys

here's some reference: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._the_Ovi_Store

0) As far as I understand you need to pack the stuff with msrat installer, thus you need app_installer.sis

1) You should not expect anyting, please read publishing guide again, you MUST fully test the application at least with one device on each platform version you are supporting. Anyway, you would be generally better on submitting separately build versions for each platform.

2) please read about Smart Installer and how it works.

Thanks for the reference. I had come across it before but I've pretty much treated the .pkg file as a black box, focusing on editing the .pro file instead. I'll now review the .pkg file contents more closely to verify that it in fact corresponds to the .pro file and what the Qt Creator "Publish..." command produces.

0. Acknowledged. So the rule is, submit the app_installer.sis file to the Nokia Store, not the app.sis.
    1. Acknowledged. My objective for this second question was to reduce the amount of testing by minimizing the amount of platform, device, and library combinations and still obtain the necessary and sufficient coverage. Specifically, I was hoping for an answer that could eliminate some redundant or unbeneficial combinations. Your response answered that question.
    2. I've read about the Smart Installer, and thanks to the link you've provided it has led me to other pages that I have not seen. I do understand that the app_installer.sis "wraps" (i.e, contains) and is independent of the app.sis. My purpose for this question is to minimize the number of SIS files to submit for publishing. So the answer to this question, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is the same as the first, that is, regardless of whether the platform comes with the Qt libraries, submit the app_installer.sis file for publishing.

Unsolicited opinion: It would seem to me that the unwrapped app.sis is no longer needed. Perhaps the smart installer functionality (which basically downloads the necessary dynamic link libraries, in other words, remote dynamic linking) should be built into the OS and fairly transparent to the programmer. I suppose (never suppose, I suppose) the smart installer is needed for backward compatibility to older platforms. There again, there would be no need for the app.sis file.
    Last edited by pgarofalo; 2011-12-24 at 19:37.

Nokia Developer Expert

For Q2, if you are submitting a Qt app, you should always submit the app_installer.sis file (which comes with the Smart Installer). This is required for Symbian ^ 1 devices; for newer devices such as Symbian ^ 3, the libraries are built into the OS.
    Andrew
    Follow @AndrewAtNokia on Twitter for news and updates about Nokia Publish!
    Andrew is now on Facebook to assist you with any publishing related inquiries.

Thanks Andrew. I just wasn't sure and your reply helps. Regarding minimizing the number of build configurations, I've created a table of devices
    and build configs and I'm simply going through and quick testing devices for each platform.