Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Nokia Smartphones

I have a Nokia N900 which I believe is the best Nokia thus far, even today; and undoubtedly one of the best smartphones and/or mobile computers out there. I have been looking for a similar Nokia device in order to continue having the same experience which the N900 has given me. To my disappointment, the related Nokia N950 is not sold commercially. I am of cause not a developer but I have diversified interests regarding business and leisure activity, so that is why the N900 is such a multitalented toy.

I could not find a similar device in Nokia's current ranges with the same versatility, appeal, features and feel as my N900. Nokia has further gone and created some really good smartphones; but now integrated with the Windows Mobile OS. After speaking to a lot of good friends, colleagues and associates that have shifted their interest and gone the Android or Apple route from Symbian, I've realised that the last thing people want to see is their Windows desktop on their smartphone (which is why manufacturers like HTC & Samsung were never big here). Symbian is great with all its features, but slightly outdated and in the wilderness compared to its competitors. Samsung is now growing at blistering pace in this part of the world.
    Maemo is a wonderful OS that provides customers with endless possibilities to change their device elements according to their wishes. Maybe Nokia could look to build on the Maemo foundation, or improve on Meego in order for Nokia to once again claim its own superior identity.

I could be wrong but I don’t believe that Windows Mobile OS is the way to go for Nokia...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia Smartphones

Welcome to the Nokia Developer discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Anyway, have you checked N9 already ?

I have checked out the N9.., but then Maemo has had time to build on and improve the product that they have engineered, not to say they've perfected all the flaws in the OS, but yet it has been commited working progress. With the N9, I have got no idea where Meego's developement process is headed since WP7 is now the new face of Nokia's devices... The N9 is a good phone, but not extraodinary.

Quote Originally Posted by NAM2 View Post
    I have checked out the N9.., but then Maemo has had time to build on and improve the product that they have engineered, not to say they've perfected all the flaws in the OS, but yet it has been commited working progress. With the N9, I have got no idea where Meego's developement process is headed since WP7 is now the new face of Nokia's devices... The N9 is a good phone, but not extraodinary.
    I just got my hands on a Nokia Lumia 800 and what I have to tell you is that I would not trade it for any Android device (I used Android btw) and the iPhone next to Lumia 800 looks and feels outdated. Lumia 800 is by far the best smartphone I had and one of the best on the market today. Plus, Windows Phone has nothing to do with Windows Desktop. If anyone tells you that nits because they didn't tried it yet. I would advise you, if you can, to get one of the Lumia, even if only to take a spin with it at a store, and judge by yourself. Its not a perfect system by all means, but for me that have used Windows Mobile, Android, Symbian, and a number of other OS in the past, is by far the best experience yet.

When it comes to development its also an amazing platform to work with.

My 2 cents anyway.

Hey thanks, I have seen a couple of videos & read some reviews. It does seem impressive... I'm just not sure whether it is flash enabled, as this seems like a bit of a grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by NAM2 View Post
    Hey thanks, I have seen a couple of videos & read some reviews. It does seem impressive... I'm just not sure whether it is flash enabled, as this seems like a bit of a grey area.
    Windows Phone does not support Flash afaik.

If you follow recent news, Adobe dropped plans on Flash support in the future on mobile devices in early November. Although there have been some rumors about Flash coming to WP7, it is questionable if it is going to be released after this decision.
    As I understand, right now there is no Silverlight support (in the browser) either, so HTML5 is the way.

Hi all
    Here is one update news here that Nokia had launched its new smart phone called Nokia Lumia 800 and Nokia Lumia 710 which is based on windows OS.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by karan1070 View Post
    Hi all
    Here is one update news here that Nokia had launched its new smart phone called Nokia Lumia 800 and Nokia Lumia 710 which is based on windows OS.
    ohh is it so?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    ohh is it so?
    It can be news to someone still, if one has been somehow "off the grid" (no access to the net, not reading newspapers, not watching TV, not talking to people about mobile phones) since late October when Nokia announced those models.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    It can be news to someone still, if one has been somehow "off the grid" (no access to the net, not reading newspapers, not watching TV, not talking to people about mobile phones) since late October when Nokia announced those models.
    Sometimes I wished I was one of those people and disconnect for a couple of months

These days we get the news before its even official

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Sometimes I wished I was one of those people and disconnect for a couple of months

These days we get the news before its even official
    I totally agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    ohh is it so?
    Yup vineet.jain its true and HTC also launched its HTC radar based on windows OS.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by karan1070 View Post
    Yup vineet.jain its true and HTC also launched its HTC radar based on windows OS.
    Recognizing sarcasm can - admittedly - sometimes be difficult, and it seems you missed it this time, karan1070.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Recognizing sarcasm can - admittedly - sometimes be difficult, and it seems you missed it this time, karan1070.
    Hi petrib
    Can ypu please tell me what I missed here ??