Discussion Board

Symbian Qt tool chain on Linux

I've been working with QT for a while using a Windows PC, but would really like to move to Linux (Ubuntu). According to the latest Nokia QT SDK there's no longer a Symbian tool chain included? Why is this? Will it return someday?

I've read that I should use the online Nokia 1.1.2 SDK installer in order to get what I need, but I can only find the 1.1.2 offline installer and it, too, is missing the Symbian tool chain. Sadly the subsequent updater crashes although it still doesn't seem to include what I'm looking for.

Do I really have to go back to Windows? I've finally seen the wonders of linux and now I have to go back to Windows! Really!? Isn't there a genius somewhere out there who knows how to make this work?

Any insight would be gratefully received and please remember I'm new to linux so 50 pages of shell commands are unlikely to mean anything to me unless I can follow them verbatim.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason
    Last edited by jfigge; 2011-12-24 at 20:22.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Symbian Qt tool chain on Linux

How about using the remote compiler?

I think i'll have to look into that, but I was hoping for a locally compiled soluiton. Still, it may be better than having to switch to windows just for Qt

Thanks to the first Necessitas release only being available for linux, I too have recently found the advantages of linux over windoze... I started with Ubuntu and have now completely deleted windows and am running Fedora 16 Verne.
    I was not aware that there was ever a symbian tool chain for linux, I have been using the remote compiler for about a year now and it works great! No need for the toolchain unless internet connectivity is an issue.
    Cheers,
    Jon