Discussion Board

Question How to Convert Unicode format to Arabic characters

When I send HTTP request, I receive it's response in Unicode format for Arabic Characters, via a TDesC8 descriptor:

\u0627\u0646\u0627 \u0645\u0639\u0627\u0643 \u0628\u0631\u062a\u0627\u062d

I tried to use following APIs to convert it to human readable form into HBufC16 descriptor:

EscapeUtils::ConvertFromUnicodeToUtf8L()
    CnvUtfConverter::ConvertFromUnicodeToUtf8L()

But I end up with the same Unicode format I received.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Nokia Asha applications [Price Point Policy] [Unlimited Updates] [Suggestions]: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/showthread.php?240423-Nokia-Asha-applications-Price-Point-Policy-Unlimited-Updates-Suggestions

Re: How to Convert Unicode format to Arabic characters

Quote Originally Posted by ashraf fawzy View Post
    When I send HTTP request, I receive it's response in Unicode format for Arabic Characters, via a TDesC8 descriptor:

\u0627\u0646\u0627 \u0645\u0639\u0627\u0643 \u0628\u0631\u062a\u0627\u062d

I tried to use following APIs to convert it to human readable form into HBufC16 descriptor:

EscapeUtils::ConvertFromUnicodeToUtf8L()
    CnvUtfConverter::ConvertFromUnicodeToUtf8L()

But I end up with the same Unicode format I received.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Hi,

There is a known issue regarding this:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...bic_characters

It does not have the solution but it says why its happening.. Might be useful in ur case.

-\ Nirab...

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by nirab.kumar View Post
    Hi,

There is a known issue regarding this:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...bic_characters

It does not have the solution but it says why its happening.. Might be useful in ur case.

-\ Nirab...
    Its not at all related to the problem which the thread creator has posted here.The link which you have specified is for java apps & secondly it says something about some alignment issue in display of arabic text.

Nokia Developer Champion

If i simply draw the text "u0627\u0646\u0627 \u0645\u0639\u0627\u0643 \u0628\u0631\u062a\u0627\u062d", then what is drawn is 'F'E9'C & the result after using ConvertFromUnicodeToUtf8L is same.

So, is there more suggestions on how to solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance.
    Nokia Asha applications [Price Point Policy] [Unlimited Updates] [Suggestions]: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/showthread.php?240423-Nokia-Asha-applications-Price-Point-Policy-Unlimited-Updates-Suggestions

Regular Contributor

If I understood correctly your string "\u0627\u0646\u0627 \u0645\u0639\u0627\u0643 \u0628\u0631\u062a\u0627\u062d" is not actually in Unicode (UCS-2) format but it's "normal" string with 8-bit ANSI characters representing Unicode codepoints. To make the functions you mentioned work you would need first to convert every Unicode codepoint to UCS-2, where "\u0627" would be 0x0627 (16 bits in hex). Probably such conversion function exists somewhere, but I don't know where.

Nokia Developer Moderator

It is somewhat unlikely that a Web-server would really send you the string \u0627\u0646... Web-servers more likely use character references, which would look like ان... in this particular case or perhaps UTF-8 format (which is rather unreadable for non-ASCII, so I do not try reproducing here) but that is more typical for XML.
    Can it happen that you see \u0627\u0646... in the debugger of Carbide.c++. If that is the case, decoding is complete and the phone will show the proper characters (or boxes, depending on the availability of the characters). Carbide.c++ does not show non-ASCII characters, it shows the character codes instead.

Hello Wizard,

Actually that's what I see when I receive the response in desktop web browser; and it's the same when I receive it via HTTP GET, and I draw it or view it via CEikonEnv::InfoWinL.

Hello again Wizard,

I tried new way of sending request, and I receive this time the response in XML structure, where the Arabic letters representation is in format you mentioned above ان.... and now I have to ask you what is the proper way to convert it into human readable form letters?

Many thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Ok, I believe you, just it looked very exotic.
    For the conversion, there is (actually, would be) CMDXMLEntityConverter::EntityToTextL, http://www.symlab.org/main/documenta...9329A240B.html
    Unfortunately this class and method does not appear in the SDK-s. However if you happen to have the ex-open source Symbian^3 code (I tend to believe that you have downloaded it according to one of our older discussions), it is located as \sf\os\xmlsrv\xml\legacyminidomparser\XMLParser\SRC\GMXMLEntityConverter.cpp
    Technically it is just a loop with Locate (for '&' and ';') and TLex (for evaluating the character code) inside, so if you write such code yourself, that will have the same performance.