Discussion Board

Question How to deploy to Harmattan N950, getting failure.

I'll try to deploy my app to N950 from Qt Creator 2.4, but getting this error:

Code:
            11:06:04: Package created.
            11:06:04: Installing package to sysroot ...
            Package 'untitled' installed.

11:06:04: Preparing SFTP connection...
            11:06:04: Starting upload...
            11:06:04: Failed to upload package: Failure
            11:06:04: Deploy step failed.
            Error while building project untitled (target: Harmattan)
            When executing build step 'Deploy Debian package via SFTP upload'
    Any ideas how to fix?

Re: How to deploy to Harmattan N950, getting failure.

Hi,

Did you try creating the sample hello world application and running on n950 using QTSDK.

http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...t_Creator.html

http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...th_Qt_SDK.html

They have steps clearly mentioned to deploy packages. Please check if the Device is properly connected or not,
    Let us know if you face any problem.

Super Contributor

It's clearly a connection problem.
    Are you using Windows or another OS?
    If you are using windows the problem is related to the NDIS driver.

In case USB network doesn't work you can use WLAN netowork.

Hi,

Have you solved this problem. Please remove the <your_app>.pro.user file in your project directory and reload the project in qtcreator again. It will ask for settings again, select harmattan and continue. This should resolve the issue.

Regular Contributor

I also encountered this problem after an upgrade to Qt 4.7.4 and Qt Creator 2.4.1. This is clearly not a connection problem, because I'm able to upload deb file to the device by sftp manually, and install it then via ssh by hand (and still use this as workaround). However, this is not very convenient... I tried to remove .pro.user file and recreate it using Qt Creator, but it doesn't help. I'm also able to connect to the device using "Test" button in device properties in Qt Creator settings. What is really interesting, every time when I trying to deploy deb file via Qt Creator, my N950 warns me about lack of free space on the device, however df command reports lots of free space on almous all mounted filesystems (except /tmp, which is in-memory fs). If anyone resolved this problem somehow, please describe the solution in this thread

Super Contributor

Hi,
    if you are using linux, you could try to reset the QtCreator configuration by removing .config/Nokia folder.
    QtCreator makes use of SSH as you do manually. So it's really weird you face this problem.
    Another thing you can try is to set up a new configuration for your device and see if you have still those issues.
    Keep us posted.

Regular Contributor

I almost forgot to tell that I found the cause of this problem. It seems that Qt Creator use /tmp as temporary folder into which it places .deb archive before installation. However, /tmp space is very limited on Harmattan, so, if there is a large .deb file, it can not be completely copied to this folder over sftp, and that's it. The quick fix is to make a symlink with name of .deb file in /tmp pointed to the file with the same name but in different folder (e.g. /var/tmp):

Code:
    ln -s /var/tmp/file.deb /tmp/file.deb
    and voila - Qt Creator will upload, install and run application without any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdev View Post
    I almost forgot to tell that I found the cause of this problem. It seems that Qt Creator use /tmp as temporary folder into which it places .deb archive before installation. However, /tmp space is very limited on Harmattan, so, if there is a large .deb file, it can not be completely copied to this folder over sftp, and that's it. The quick fix is to make a symlink with name of .deb file in /tmp pointed to the file with the same name but in different folder (e.g. /var/tmp):

Code:
    ln -s /var/tmp/file.deb /tmp/file.deb
    and voila - Qt Creator will upload, install and run application without any issue.
    The reason this works is that the /tmp is ONLY 4mb! Anything larger will not upload and thats why it fails.

What you've done is simple moved it to /var/tmp where there is more space.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rashm2k View Post
    The reason this works is that the /tmp is ONLY 4mb! Anything larger will not upload and thats why it fails.

What you've done is simple moved it to /var/tmp where there is more space.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.
    My former account username is lostdev, and I'm not sure what are you trying to say by this. Everything you wrote here is obvious. I wrote my last comment only to let others know the cause of an issue and how to fix it if they'll encounter it. It's obvious that /tmp is too small to fit deb files larger that 4mb, but what was not obvious, is that Qt Creator utilizes /tmp to install deb files (instead of /home/developer, for example), and resulting error "Failed to upload package: Failure" was not descriptive at all.