Discussion Board

Read NMEA 0183 string without using Bluetooth

Hi ,

How can I read NMEA 0183 string with/without using J2ME Location API?

I have used location.getExtraInfo("application/X-jsr179-location-nmea"). But it is always returning null. Is there any way to read the raw NMEA 0183 string??

Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Read NMEA 0183 string without using Bluetooth

in future please do post your questions under the selected technology, this time I moved this from General discussions.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi shubho_2011,

That's the correct way.

I managed to get a non-null value using the following example (that uses the same line to retrieve extra info) on Nokia 701:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...on_API_JSR_179

You location object must be a valid one before attempting the retrieval. Try also to see if you can extract the extra info by using LIF Mobile Location Protocol. You can try this:

location.getExtraInfo("application/X-jsr179-location-lif")

Use a Nokia SDK if you are not already doing so (provided you are testing on a Nokia device).
    Last edited by skalogir; 2012-01-03 at 07:45.

It works fine for me on S60rd FP2 phone, it worked fine on Nokia 500 with Anna, but since Belle update, and also on Nokia 701 w/ Belle (latest update), I always get null.
    My criteria: alt and speed required, cost not allowed, power usage high/medium (tried both). Location method (in phone settings): integrated GPS only.

I wonder how you managed to get NMEA on Nokia 701?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi hnipak,

It's the set cost to allowed that makes the difference and also you need to enable Assisted GPS as a positioning method from Settings. If you attempt again with network support, you will manage to get the NMEA string.

After extended tested, this is proven to be a bug that was introduced in some versions of Belle. It should have been possible to get a value for the NMEA string even without enabling the Assisted GPS option, as long as you get a valid location object.

Anna does not seem to be affected by this. The error is present for example in Belle software version 111.030.0609.

Thanks for reporting this. I will submit this internally, and report back to this thread as soon as I know more.

Thank you very much.

By the way, is there a way to report bugs in java implementtion? I'm asking because I have another bugreport for consideration, in JSR-234 / S40 6th, discussed here.

Nokia Developer Expert

You can first look for similar errors, in order to ensure that your issue has not been reported before, and then you can submit any new bugs to Bugzilla here.
    It is helpful to provide as much information as possible, such as the software version of the affected devices, or the SDK you used to compile to code and a detailed description for the error as well as steps to reproduce the issue, including expected and actual outcomes.

Thank you! The trick with Assisted GPS option enabled works - even with mobile data and wifi disabled