Discussion Board

Exclamation WebSocket Support in Browser for Series 40

Hi,

I am developing an app that uses WebSockets. When I test the app in the WAS simulator that comes with Nokia WebTools 1.5 IDE the app runs Okay. However, I have another simulator, the Nokia for Java simulator, into which I download and install the Browser for Series 40. But on running the same app in this simulator I get the message that WebSockets are not available.

My question is, are WebSockets supported in the handsets that use the Browser for S40, as I have only tested this on simulators?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: WebSocket Support in Browser for Series 40

Hi and welcome to forum!

Were you using local or cloud preview in WAS? Cloud preview is closest match to actual device, where as local preview should only be used for debugging. Local preview runs web app without proxy in place.
    The best way to test is always to use real device.

What comes to WebSockets they are not likely to be supported, because Nokia Browser does not execute any JavaScript on device (except MWL library).

Br,
    Ilkka

Hi,

In my earlier question I was using local preview. On using cloud preview the app gives the following message:

Browser does not natively support WebSockets nor have the Adobe Flash-PlugIn 10+ been installed.
    Please download the latest Adobe Flash Player at http://......

Since I have not yet been able to access a real device, I would appreciate your assistance in

1) Is there a way I could install Flash Player in WAS?

2) Can real devices have Flash Player installed?

3) Even if Nokia Browser does not execute any JavaScript on device (except MWL library), would it not execute the WebSocket javascript
    in the proxy server, just as it executes the ordinary javascript?

Regards,
    Board1

Nokia Developer Moderator

1) Well technically it could have flash support, but since the flash is not supported on Nokia browser, there is no reason to have it.

2) No, in a browser context. However most of series 40 devices do support standalone Flash lite applications.

3) I understand your point. However benefits of Web Sockets would be lost as communication between Nokia Browser and proxy is done using Ajax. Proxy server can't push the data to back to Browser.

Br,
    Ilkka