Discussion Board

Raptor (SBSv2) build problem with a large project and Symbian Belle 0.6 SDK

Hello all,

I am currently trying to builde a huge application (over 2 M lines of code) with ARMv5 compiler using Raptor + Carbide.c++ 3.4. The SDKs are Symbian Belle 0.6 and Symbian Anna.

I am building it regularly it with older Nokia SDKs and SBSv1 (ABLD), for S60 3rd Ed, 5th Ed and Symbian Anna. The ABLD build runs well, though I had to modify the files cl_bpabi.pm and set DATA_SEGMENT_START to 0x400000. The .exe links successfully with ABLD.

Nevertheless, when attempting to build it with Raptor, I get the following errors during the final linking stage:

Code:
    Error: L6221E: Load region LR_1 overlaps with Load region LR_2.
    Error: L6221E: Execution region ER_RO overlaps with Execution region ER_RW.
    Error: L6221E: Execution region ER_RO overlaps with Execution region ER_ZI.
    The compilation itself is OK and, but the linker step fails. It seems that armlink.exe receives bad parameters regarding the EXE layout. The application is huge and thus contains a lot of symbols etc.

I tried to fool around with the Raptor configuration (rvct.xml), to alter the flags to armlink.exe, but to no avail. I dug around the makefiles generated by ABLD and Raptor, experimented with their alterations, to no avail.

Can anybody help me?

Note that there was a similar problem on ABLD (see the thread http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ot-yet-created), but it could be solved by tinkering with cl_bpabi.pm.

There is no direct equivalent of this file in SBSv2, though. Only rvct.xml, where I didn't find the real magic.

Should I try altering CODE_SEGMENT_START? Never done that before.

Super Contributor

Re: Raptor (SBSv2) build problem with a large project and Symbian Belle 0.6 SDK

You can try changing the .config files but from my past experiance i suggest you convert parts of the code to dll.

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    You can try changing the .config files but from my past experiance i suggest you convert parts of the code to dll.
    That would be a logical thing to do, from the purely technical point of view. But it is rendered impossible by the (crazy) Symbian security model. The libraries are under development, and a DLL needs all the capabilities of the EXE which loads it. I can't imagine constantly re-signing > 20 DLLs for several Symbian platforms - it would be unmanageable and also very expensive.

Nokia Developer Moderator

While I would like to see the 'proper' solution (for completeness reasons), from the signing point of view there is no difference: you sign a .sis/x file, and a single .sis/x file can deploy an arbitrary amount of .exe-s and .dll-s.
    Code split as a workaround for compiler/toolchain limitations will not result in re-usable components anyway, so there is no need to provide separate installables (testing them would not be easy either).

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    While I would like to see the 'proper' solution (for completeness reasons), from the signing point of view there is no difference: you sign a .sis/x file, and a single .sis/x file can deploy an arbitrary amount of .exe-s and .dll-s.
    Code split as a workaround for compiler/toolchain limitations will not result in re-usable components anyway, so there is no need to provide separate installables (testing them would not be easy either).
    I would like to see it as well. The ARM compilation toolchain has many properties that can be set. So I think that the EXE sectioning must be tweakable.