Discussion Board

How to create Trial application?

Hello, I´m developing for Windows Phone, already have some free apps on the market, but would like to make a paid app with trial version, but can´t make it work properly.
    Where could i get more information or an example? I want to hide some sections that could be visible only in paid version, during trial is limited use.

Regards and thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: How to create Trial application?

Hi,
    I think you can use libcrypto library for this purposes . By this you can generate keys based on for example IMEI of the device. and you can give the key to your user so they can use your software.
    You can make your software free say for 4 weeks and after that you require the key.
    One way to make it working is that when user install your SW you put some info in settings (when he installed it), when he start the app next time you check it from settings if time has been elapsed or not. If it has elapsed you ask for the key.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mahbub_s60 View Post
    Hi,
    I think you can use libcrypto library for this purposes . By this you can generate keys based on for example IMEI of the device. and you can give the key to your user so they can use your software.
    You can make your software free say for 4 weeks and after that you require the key.
    One way to make it working is that when user install your SW you put some info in settings (when he installed it), when he start the app next time you check it from settings if time has been elapsed or not. If it has elapsed you ask for the key.
    But does the Microsoft Marketplace support such applications that require separate keys? Does it support some kind of key generation/activation mechanism, or do you have to make a "lite" version of your app as the free "trial", and then a separate "full" (paid) version? Or does it have some kind of a in-app purchasing scheme that allows the app to "unlock" additional features (with or without additional downloads?)?

Super Contributor

Also, the Microsoft discussion boards might be better for this type of issues (and I imagine this is a topic that has been brought up/asked and answered there already): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-gb/categories

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    But does the Microsoft Marketplace support such applications that require separate keys? Does it support some kind of key generation/activation mechanism, or do you have to make a "lite" version of your app as the free "trial", and then a separate "full" (paid) version? Or does it have some kind of a in-app purchasing scheme that allows the app to "unlock" additional features (with or without additional downloads?)?
    That is good point, I assume this should be generic solution depends on app. If market place support or not that is another issue.
    Last edited by mahbub_s60; 2012-01-08 at 17:14.

Nokia Developer Champion

If you only need trial to disable some of the features or show popup now and then.
    Then this is your solution: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.92).aspx

thank you so much for the help, i was able to do it, sorry if it wasn´t the right place to post.