Discussion Board

JavaME/LWUIT/Blackberry - how to get lcdui's Display in RIMlet?

I have a LWUIT-application which I also want to run on Blackberry phones. For this I use the approach from the LWUIT Demo App - common implementation is placed in a separate project (the base), there is 1 more separate project for MIDP which depends on the base, 1 other for RIM which also deps on the base. The project for RIM produces a native RIM application. In RIM's world it's called CLDC app or RIMlet. So, my application is not derived from MIDlet, but from UiApplication. See below.

import net.rim.device.api.ui.UiApplication;

public class MyRimlet extends UiApplication implements Runnable {

Now the problem...
    I use some library. The class from that library needs lcdui's Display for its initialization (ref2 javax.microedition.lcdui.Display). I can get a ref2 Display if I have MIDlet. For this I can use Display.getDisplay(MIDlet m) method. But I don't have MIDlet since my app is derived from UiApplication.
    So, what should I do to initialize the class from external lib?

Thanks for your help!
    Regards,
    Alexey

Super Contributor

Re: JavaME/LWUIT/Blackberry - how to get lcdui's Display in RIMlet?

Have you asked on the RIM/BlackBerry developer forums? Beats me, but for some strange reason or another, I suspect that there might be more BlackBerry experts there than on an competitor's forums such as this one.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/.../blackberrydev

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Have you asked on the RIM/BlackBerry developer forums? Beats me, but for some strange reason or another, I suspect that there might be more BlackBerry experts there than on an competitor's forums such as this one.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/.../blackberrydev
    Hi Petrib,

Yes, you are right!
    I asked there also.
    I decided to ask here, since many mobile developers use LWUIT and develop applications for more than just 1 mobile platform.

Regards,
    azakharo

Nokia Developer Champion

try

Android & BlackBerry Port by Thorsten Schemm - A native BlackBerry API port of LWUIT is available within the LWUIT incubator project source tree. (http://java.net/projects/lwuit-incubator/)

refer to - http://www.pader-sync.com/lwuit-for-...d-android.html
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    try

Android & BlackBerry Port by Thorsten Schemm - A native BlackBerry API port of LWUIT is available within the LWUIT incubator project source tree. (http://java.net/projects/lwuit-incubator/)

refer to - http://www.pader-sync.com/lwuit-for-...d-android.html
    I already use it in my application! Specifically, I use LWUIT_Blackberry_4_7_OrNewer.jar library from LWUIT 1.5.
    The question is how to get MIDP's lcdui Display when you use the port (you do not have a MIDlet).
    Correct me, if my understanding is wrong.

Nokia Developer Champion

As you do not have Midlet, you can not get the instance of Midlet Display object.... please let us know what do you want to achieve using it ?.... we might have some workaround for it.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    As you do not have Midlet, you can not get the instance of Midlet Display object.... please let us know what do you want to achieve using it ?.... we might have some workaround for it.
    OK, I have a rich LWUIT application. One of the screens displays a map with markers. I use Nokia Maps API for that screen. I create MapCanvas object which needs lcdui's Display for its initialization (see its constructor).
    My app has 2 versions: MIDP and RIM. It is implemented exactly the same way as in the famous LWUIT Demo App and as I described before in this thread. In the MIDP version of my app I have the midlet object and have no problems with creating MapCanvas. In the RIM version I have different classes (API) and have no midlet. But I think that it is hidden somehow below that API and can be accessed. I am just unfamiliar with programming for Blackberry...

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by azakharo View Post
    OK, I have a rich LWUIT application. One of the screens displays a map with markers. I use Nokia Maps API for that screen. I create MapCanvas object which needs lcdui's Display for its initialization (see its constructor).
    My app has 2 versions: MIDP and RIM. It is implemented exactly the same way as in the famous LWUIT Demo App and as I described before in this thread. In the MIDP version of my app I have the midlet object and have no problems with creating MapCanvas. In the RIM version I have different classes (API) and have no midlet. But I think that it is hidden somehow below that API and can be accessed. I am just unfamiliar with programming for Blackberry...
    You wont get Midlet display in UI app; for RIM you may need to use Blackberry maps API...
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh