Discussion Board

Game development on Windows Phone

i am new at development, and wants to learn game development for windows phone, and qt. plz help me from where i can start basic development .... thank u
    Last edited by kiran10182; 2012-01-18 at 13:07. Reason: Renamed subject with some meaningful title

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Game development on Windows Phone

This site covers both WP7 development and Qt development, however it is probably worth mentioning that they are very distinct platforms for now: there is no Qt on WP7.
    In the 'Resources' panel above you can find a section 'Learning', that is a good starting point to get learning materials for Qt. For Windows Phone, Microsoft's own site http://create.msdn.com accommodates the learning materials (and also, the tools).

However game examples for both platforms are available from this site, check the 'Resources' panel again, and there are 'Code examples'. After opening the page you will see a list of most recent examples (for all platforms), and on the right side you will find a box 'Select technology' where you can narrow the selection to Qt or Windows Phone. You will find games for both.

Your question has been moved to the Games development board, there you may want to check what has been discussed already in the other threads.

First learn qml and then go towards the game development by learning a physics engine named Box2d which will help you to create games for both of the platform. XNA is targetting Windows only but box2d is ported on both of the platforms. I hope this will help.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by me2kashif View Post
    First learn qml and then go towards the game development by learning a physics engine named Box2d which will help you to create games for both of the platform. XNA is targetting Windows only but box2d is ported on both of the platforms. I hope this will help.
    Not to nitpick but I don't think box2d is the best thing to look at if you are just starting out. Rather focus on creating a very basic game, physics can come later.

Super Contributor

Hi there, magicdave

I agree with you quite a much on this, it might really be the best to start out on modelling a basic game concept, then gradually adding more functionality to it.

A box2d game requires some extra knowledge, but after having had a good start, it can be implemented within quite easily.

Best Regards,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]